Transporting An Extension Ladder With A Car: How ?

Hello:
Have the problem of transporting a typical 20 ft. Werner extension ladder.
Only have a car (Buick LeSabre) and it's probably a bit much to just hang out of the trunk.
I can try the ski carriers that I still have from years ago and see if they will fit on the Buick, but was wondering if anyone has any other clever ideas on what to do ?
I remember they used to make heavy foam blocks to place on a canoes gunwales, so the canoe copuld easily be carried upside down on the roof of a car without maring the paint (tied down, of course).
Is there anything like this available for carrying a ladder, perhaps ?
Any other thoughts on ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

The simplest thing would probably to place it on the roof with something like a small mattress or couch cushion under it to protect the roof. Tie it down *really* well, a big ladder like that can do a lot of damage if it gets loose, even if it only twists vs. flying off.
Pete C.
If you have a receiver hitch you could make a Y or T shaped support out of square tubing. between that and a roof rack it would be pretty secure, if tied down properly. Lacking a receiver hitch, it would be down to how willing you were to drill your bumper.

Torino to haul long things and the ski rack works fine AS LONG AS YOU SECURE THE LOAD.
You may consider hanging it on the passenger side of the car by tying ropes front and back (I use the hood and trunk hinges as a tie point). Of course pad the ladder where it rests against the sheetmetal.
Eigenvector wrote:

In addition to what others have said, use ropes at both ends of the car to the ladder. A rope from the left side of the car to the right side of the ladder, and vise-versa, will help keep the ladder from swinging on the car. When it is properly tied, you should not be able to move either end up/down or right/left. Many cars have lifting loops under the bumper which would be good to tie to.
Bob

And don't forget red flags on the end if it reaches past the end of the car.
Bob
Use either a roof rack or a ski rack to support it and to keep it centered on the car roof. Tie it well to the rack so that it doesn't move. Next you need to anchor both ends of the ladder as far away from the rack as you can. Use good strong rope and tie the ends of the ladder under the bumper. You should find something strong under there to tie onto. In the back you can use the leaf spring anchors. In front you may have to reach well under to find a solid attachment. Do not turn quickly, do not brake quickly, do not accelerate quickly, drive with smooth fluid motion and anticipate all changes in speed and/or direction to prevent the ladder from twisting off.
This advise is from someone who carried 300 pounds of 20 foot long re-rods on a '67 Valiant with no incident.

friend with more sutiable vehicle:)
d find something strong under there to tie onto. In the back you can

If you try that on a modern car, you're likely to crack the seal around the windshield.
If you have the clearance carry it under the car tied to the front and rear bumpers. I carried a 20' length of well pipe this way.

Hey Red Green. Use duct tape right? :-)
But seriously, what cars have bumpers these days?
What I have used is a couple of pieces of carpet scraps. One front and one rear. The ladder should be tied down securely so that it cannot move in any direction.
Charlie

Robert11 wrote:

If the ski carrier roof rack is the tube (Yakima) or square bar (Thule) type then go to any hardware store and pick up two or four deep u-bolt/mounting plate sets. Use them to secure the ladder to the rack. Be sure to mount them over the sides of the ladder and not just through a rung. Crank it down a bit with a ratchet, but don't go crazy. If you're travelling a long distance with it, lock washers wouldn't be a bad idea.
Attach the front and back of the ladder with rope to your towing points so the rope forms inverted V's.
That sucker ain't goin' nowhere.
No matter what you do, make sure you hold on to it with your left hand while driving. I see this technique used quite often when people strap king sized mattresses on there car roofs and secure them with twine.