Town forces boys to stop selling cupcakes

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:13:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Right. Giuliani had our emergency operations center put INTO the World Trade Center because a big contributor needed a few floors rented. So when the WTC is attacked, Giuliani gets a nice photo of himself walking the streets because we had no EOC left. Every single recommendation was to put the EOC anywhere else but, see, this guy needed some rent money from the city.
He was the most corrupt and awful mayor our city ever had.
On 11/21/2010 8:49 AM, George wrote:

Chuckle. On a business trip to San Diego a few years back, a bunch of us took the streetcar down to the terminus at the border, and walked over to TJ for dinner, and to scope out the tourist traps. (For those that don't know, Mexico keeps the tourist part of Tijuana in a no-man's land between their customs station and US border point. You aren't in US, but you haven't really entered Mexico officially.) Anyway, all over town, there were planted street signs, looking just like traffic signs, in English, telling the tourists to NOT give any cash to cops, and giving a number to call if any ask.
--
aem sends...

Now you have me wondering... The only time I've been to Tijuana was in the late '90s (no such signs, but it was clearly a DMZ) but the "tourist area" was several miles from the border crossing. It was a reasonably long cab ride and I was told not to hoof it. Thinking back, though, I don't remember any Mexican customs. Is that whole section of the city the "no-man's land"? It certainly looked like we were driving through real Mexico. ;-)
On 11/21/2010 6:26 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:

The last build I worked on here was a small takeout/delivery restaurant and halfway through the job, a building inspector showed up and told the general contractor that he would have to install an internal ladder and roof hatch in order for the rooftop equipment to be serviced. This would cost more than the entire remodeling budget. It's in a small business strip that had been there for 25 years and none of the other occupants had ever been told that they had to have an internal ladder. It wasn't an attempt at extortion but rather an example of the incompetence and complete lack of common sense of the Affirmative Action morons in charge of the city's bureaucracy. You don't necessarily have to bribe anyone but you have to get lawyers involved and spend a lot of time and money negotiating with city officials through whoever can get them to listen to reason. I've never paid a bribe to anyone but have dealt with inspectors face to face and honestly. The trick is to be respectful, not lie to them, go behind their back or pull a fast one. If you do, they'll remember you and nitpick you to death on every job from then on. Whenever I've come up against an inspector who tells me I have to do something ridiculous or unnecessary, I ask them to help me understand the code so I don't make the same mistake in the future. I'll pull out the code books and go over it with them and can often resolve it right there on the spot and if that doesn't work, ask them if it's OK to talk to the head of their department for a second opinion. I get along with our local inspectors here and if they ask me to do some little thing that doesn't take a lot of time and money, I say yes sir, no problem. It's the best way to prevent a REAL PROBLEM. 8-)
TDD
Next, they'll be going after lemonade stands. And kids trick or treating for UNICEF.
Trollbuddy wrote:

And it's bloody well about time, too!
Jon

hellooooooooo, I just baked you a dozen cupcakes.

Insurance, license, permit, workers-comp. Now you know where the money for Girls Scout Cookies goes and why the new generation doesnt know how to bake.
On 11/20/2010 10:38 AM, Molly Brown wrote:

I think you identified two things that have nothing to do with the original post.
You may remember a few years ago a retired woman who had a business background and who was a troop leader wondered why her troop received so little from their huge cookie sale proceeds. She did her homework and found out how much the cookies costs etc.
Turns out that the girl scouts organization is a huge enterprise filled with highly paid do nothing staff based in a building that looked like Government Motors headquarters. One of the investigative reporting shows (maybe 20/20) did an expose on them and showed that the lions share of the money went to support the huge office building and staff.
The interesting part is they took a look at the boy scouts and found pretty much nothing in the way of an organization with most everything done locally.
As far as knowing how to bake I don't think the government requires a license to bake stuff for your own consumption. Some people appreciate quality and bake stuff and some folks like the consistent mediocrity of big box goods.
Molly Brown wrote:

There is a reason things are the way they are, food prepared and offered or sold to the public included. A health dept. license is required to sell food to the public, and with that comes the regulations concerning facilities, approved sources of ingredients, labels, proper food handling during food preparation, approved storage and time/temp requirements. This one seems innocent enough but what about the guy who decides to grill hamburgers in his garage and sell them in the front yard, or the restaurant that opens with out a food service licesne and without running water supplied? It's all been done, and lines have to be drawn somewhere, it's always fun until someone loses and eye. How many let their kids eat homemade food they got while trick or treating?

Cupcakes are a gateway dessert. They had to be stopped.
Jim

Jim,
you win the prize, funniest post of the week... :-)
Mark