Town forces boys to stop selling cupcakes

Page 1 of 2
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2fnvhkh
http://www.parentdish.com/2010/11/19/cupcake-selling-boys-shut-down-by - cops-speak-out/?icid=maing|main5|3|link3|26878
The police told the kids to stop selling cupcakes. A councilman tattled on them. oooo, big criminals.
On 11/20/2010 1:41 AM, Noahbuddy wrote:

Interesting points in the article about how the kids could never obtain a permit because a two hour permit costs $175.00 and they would have to have a million dollar insurance policy. That law had to be passed by somebody, hummm, let's see could it be town board members like the jerk who called the police? It would be interesting to find out how many of those permits are issued.
TDD

In CT, the health authorities just stopped a chili fest that a fire company was having to raise money. They said you can't sell food without it being prepared in a licensend, inspected facility. That would seem to apply to the above situation, bake sales, church dinners to raise money, etc too. Interesting because there obviously are a lot of these all over that don't get busted. Most likely because no one busts them rather than that they are exempted from the law. I don't recall any of them causing food poisoning though. That seems to always come from one of the commercial, licensed places.....
On 11/20/2010 6:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Sure, when I think of food poisoning I think of the big box industrial places who pay walmart wages not a volunteer organization where the folks are putting their everything into making good food to help pay for the stuff they need to help the community.
On 11/20/2010 6:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

2-3 times a month, one group or another of local Church Ladies has a bake/knit goods sale in the lobby of the cafeteria of the federal building I work in. Nobody cares. But several of the local rental meeting halls had to padlock their kitchens (formerly an available option on hall rentals) because they were set up with residential grade appliances, plumbing, flooring, et all. PTB wanted them to upgrade to commercial kitchen specs. But the kitchens attached to most of the local church multipurpose rooms (I see them when they have their tag sales) don't seem to be commercial spec either. Not sure what the criteria is- in a town this small, whose ass you kiss is probably part of it.
I always wondered what the people who run the building I work in would do if some non-mainstream church, like the Moonies, or the fellows in the orange outfits, wanted to have a bake sale.
I think it would be pretty hard to give anybody more than a case of the trots with any baked goods. Now someplace selling dishes with meat or uncooked egg products, I might be a little more leery of. As much as I love the food in bars (they always seem to have the best burgers), you never want to look in a bar kitchen. I've never seen one that wasn't tiny and very scary.
--
aem sends...

You wouldn't think that peanut butter could kill someone, but lace it with salmonella and voila!
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=salmonella-poisoning-peanut-butter
The health codes are generally responses (too late) to serious food poisoning events. I used to live across the street from a food truck vendor and based on what I saw, I am glad inspectors are out there doing their work. Spending two years in the restaurant industry and watching Kitchen Nightmares further convinced me that you can't inspect some places often enough. My friend's mother was health inspector and she never ate in any of the town's Chinese restaurants, citing inspection horror stories like the guy who pressed his ducks between two sheets of plywood with his Cadillac or the "That's NOT chicken, it's pigeon." In China they raised their own ducks and chickens and now, the only birds it is legal to raise in city limits are - you guessed it - pigeons! It's not that they are evil, they are just adapting to our culture.
I now tend to gravitate to places like Quizno's and others where you can see the food being prepared. I suspect that as county governments slash their spending, we're going to see a lot more food poisoning cases because inspections are among the first thing to get cut back.
Food safety's been in the news lately. The Republicans and Democrats that live in food producing states voted against even discussing a bill to expand the FDA's reach in the waked of recent nation-wide food poisoning events.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/us/politics/18foodbill.html
WASHINGTON - The Senate voted 74 to 25 on Wednesday to consider a bill to improve the food safety system. One Democrat, Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska, joined Republicans in opposition to debating the measure.
While I believe the Feds are the number one strangler of small businesses, I do believe that I want someone looking over the shoulder of Big Agra and Big Meat to make sure they don't kill me or my family. I wouldn't want to live in an inspection free "honor system" country, although I am sure to some extent I do. The relationship between corporations and consumers has to be mediated, just like any other sports contest. (-: I fear the FDA can kill a company with a meritless recall and that there's no mechanism that can prevent that from happening if there's really a serious public health threat and they're *almost* sure they know the cause.
-- Bobby G.
Veteran short order cook, Roy Rogers burgermeister, IHOP dishwasher, ad nauseum

So you can see the e.coli on the lettuce? (grin).

Not information in this to say if it is a good thing or a bad thing.

Actually most of the major problems that the FDA looks at (since premises inspections are largely a local responsibility) could be taken care of by the simple expediency of irradiating most foods.

A similar thing happened in Houston a few years ago when a group representing a chili-cookoff contest complained that the city health inspector was burdening them with absurd regulations.
"Like what?" asked one councilman.
"Well, he insists that all the cooking be done in a tent," replied the chili man.
"We require a covered cooking area," volunteered the city health inspector. "One reason is to keep insects from dropping into the food."
"That just shows he don't know nothin' 'bout chili," interjected the cook-off connoisseur, we PUT insects in the chili! Ain't nothin' like a few fire ants to add a little flavor..."
"I give up. Cook whatever you want," said the health inspector as he left the hearing room.
HeyBub wrote:

And remember many, many regulations are there because some business wanted to protect itself from competition so they "paid" some politicians to make some rules. OTOH some of those rules do protect the public from various things. There is NO easy answer.

Mostly they are to protect the bureaucracy from getting grilled when something goes wrong.

The kids were running a "for profit" business on town property. Everyone feels sorry for the poor kids, but how would they feel if Dunkin Donuts opened a mobile stand there? In the eyes of the law, there is no difference. This was not a fund raiser, it was money for their pockets. Now they learned what real businesses have to do.
On 11/20/2010 7:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly, let everyone know the hoops the government makes folks who operate businesses jump through. A friend opened a new location and he still doesn't have the certificate of occupancy after two months because all of the inspections are done according to when the government employees get around to it and then they discover extremely dangerous conditions such as signs thet were mounted 1/4" lower than specified which require another inspection and then another.
On 11/20/2010 7:52 AM, George wrote:

Back in the late 70's up through 1988 I operated a scuba shop. We rented a commercial space in a strip mall and went to work putting up partitions so make the space suitable for our purpose. We tried to do thing right and had the building inspectors come around like we were supposed to do. Right off, the building inspector didn't like the fact that we used ordinary 2 X 4s for the base plate of our interior walls; he wanted pressure treated lumber since it lay on top of a concrete pad.
Well, he came up with an alternative since the walls were already up... let us have the base plate sprayed with insecticide thoughtfully provided by his brother (or brother in law, I can't remember) for a not insignificant fee.
Well, we did everything all those inspectors asked of us but then they dragged their feet in issuing a certificate of occupancy. No problem: we opened anyway. Just ignored them. The base plates never rotted; in fact we never had any structural issues. I occupied that spot for 9 years without a certificate of occupancy. Oops.
After that I learned if I had small jobs not likely to attract attention to stay the hell away from the building inspection department. I just hired guys who knew what they were doing.
Jay
wrote Re Re: Town forces boys to stop selling cupcakes:

Interesting story and very common in the North East and just about any large US city. It sounds very much like stories you read/hear about of the banana republics in South America 20 years ago.

On 11/21/2010 8:14 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

My old friend went to NYC after college. He and another guy he worked with started a new business. This was in the 1980s at the peak of liberal control of NYC in that century before people had enough and hired Giuliani. As part of their process they had one each oxygen and acetylene tanks. In order to have them someone had to get a license from the fire department. Since my buddy was the junior partner he got the job which consisted of reading a small list of requirements and taking a test at the fire house. My buddy takes the test and he is told he passed but he needed to pay (in green) to get the license.
Another friend is VP of marketing for a large electronics company. He said it would cost them $10,000 in bribe money when they exhibited at shows in the Javitts center. After Giuliani was elected there were signs taped up all over the place at the Javitts center that said "if someone demands payment or a bribe call this number..."
On 11/21/2010 7:49 AM, George wrote:

Darn those pesky Republicans, they get into power and screw up all the traditional ways of doing business costing little dictators millions of dollars in graft and corruption. It's a real shame when lower level bureaucrats can't buy that new Jaguar or add a swimming pool to their summer home. 8-)
TDD
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:13:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

s/"summer home"/"dacha"
On 11/21/2010 11:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Oh yea, under Communism everyone is equal except the elite, they're more equal than me and thee. Kinda reminds me of the Royal Federal Government. 8-)
TDD
<...snipped...>

Come on, there's no shortage of republican politicians, appointees, and civil seservants who have been investigated and convicted of bribery, either.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On 11/21/2010 2:51 PM, Larry W wrote:

We expect Democrats to lie, cheat and steal. That's why so much fuss is made when a Republican is caught up in some scandal. If there is no crime going on by Republicans, the Liberal Left will fabricate some. No I'm not a Republican, Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they horrify me. Here in Alabamastan, Republicans have taken control of the state government for the first time in 136 years. People woke up and decided enough is enough. The feds are actually prosecuting a whole gaggle of Democrat politicians here for various and sundry crimes, most of them have to do with bribery. Voter fraud is SOP for Democrats in my state, we have lots of dead people voting just like in Chicago. It's amazing to me how Democrats can vote from beyond the grave, that's real dedication to one's political party. Every time Republicans broach the subject of simple voter ID to combat vote fraud at the polls, Democrats squeal like hungry piglets. Democrats have actually proposed giving the right to vote to the inmates of the state prisons. I wonder why, are Democrats that desperate to gain votes for their crime,.. I mean cause?
TDD