Torque to 80 lb-in how?

I am using no hub couplings to connect drain pipes and the couplings are made of stainless steel clamps with a 3/8" hex head with specifications called for tightening to 80 pound-in.
I have a torque wrench that will tighten to 60 pound-inch and then releases but not 80, and I don't want to pay a lot of money to for a 90 pound-in torque wrench just to tighten 2 couplings and will not have a use for it ever. Is there any trick anyone can think of that would allow me to tighen to that specification?
Thanks,
MC
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:15:40 -0400, "MiamiCuse"

Use an extention to increase the leverage between the click mechanism and the screw head. Or use a pull scale on the end of a wrench and do the calculations for length. 8 lbs on a 10 inch wrench would do it.
Besides, the torque is NOT terribly critical. I generally make them "wrist tight" using a 3 inch ratchet or "pretty durn tight" with a screwdriver.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 13, 7:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yup.....
80 in-lbs is 6.5 ft-lbs
or
~ 8 lbs on a 10" (like the size of a 1/2" drive ratchet) or
~15 lbs on a 3/8 drive ratchet
not a lot of force
or
put your torque wrench in a vice and drive the socket end to it with a wrench or ratchet....."calibrate" your arm, hand, wrist to 60 in-lbs and add 1/3 of oyur 80 in-lbs
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.
Add pictures here
✖

I've never seen anyone actually using a torque wrench on these couplings. You just tighten them up like most things, to be reasonably tight, but not risk stripping them.
Ditto, its just a coupling, grab a tool and tighten it...
Add pictures here
✖

Although, for most (many?) of us on AHR, tightening a wide range of things is second nature.....after YEARS of doing so.
For some, every new device or situation, is just that.....a new situation. Without experience or a "reference", it is hard for these folks to execute confidently on these new and unfamiliar tasks.
I had a 15+ year apprenticeship on all manner of mechancial devices & situations (followed by another 30+ years of professional practice) ..... not everyone has the luxury of such an experience.
That's why it is helpful to "know one's audience" and to attempt to relate the real world of mechanical experience to something they can "measure".
As they gain experience, they will eventually "just grab a wrench & tighten it". :)
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That would be "two fingers" on a 10 inch wrench.
Add pictures here
✖

Wait till it releases at 60 in-lb and then tighten it a little more.
You'll be close enough to 80 for what you're connecting. Test it before concealing it if you're concerned.
Add pictures here
✖
Divide by 12 to get foot pounds, and then use your foot pound wrench?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus