Toro CRC 2450 snow blower

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hi7fs6 $ak1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Reason it popped into my mind was someone up north recently had starting issues (vs OP's running issues). It was a Toro 2 cycle. First thing guy at Toro asked was if by any chance E85 got into it.

Reply to
Red Green

Sorry. Don't pretend to be an expert on engine repair.

After looking at some of the PDF documents for this model it does have exactly what you say "a carb".

I don't think it's a carb problem, but could be. I'm inclined to believe it's a fuel filter problem. The PDF documents also show this. Most likely I didn't see this when I pulled the skins.

As far as the exhust cleaning I was thinking baffles. I don't think it has baffles. And I don't think there is an air filter.

A quick replacement of the fuel filter(56-6360) should tell me something. This is a Toro part number.

Do you think a generic part from HD or local hardware store could be used. Ordering just this part will cost more in shipping then the part.

Thanks

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Probably. We've got a good farm supply place in town though and they're very good at stocking parts for all kinds of different small engines, so if you have somewhere like that they might have exactly the right bit on the shelf.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

After looking at some of the PDF documents for this model it does have exactly what you say "a carb".

CY: When I got mine that "runs fine" the carb clogged. I dissembled the carb, and it ran for another ten minutes. Finally I put in a fuel filter, which did the trick.

I don't think it's a carb problem, but could be. I'm inclined to believe it's a fuel filter problem. The PDF documents also show this. Most likely I didn't see this when I pulled the skins.

CY: Might have a filter. If not, I was able to cut out some fuel line, and put in a universal small engine filter.

As far as the exhust cleaning I was thinking baffles. I don't think it has baffles. And I don't think there is an air filter.

CY: Mine has a muffler of some kind, and no air filter.

A quick replacement of the fuel filter(56-6360) should tell me something. This is a Toro part number.

Do you think a generic part from HD or local hardware store could be used. Ordering just this part will cost more in shipping then the part.

CY: I'd measure the ID of the fuel line, and the diameter of the fuel filter you find at the hardware. It is very much likely to work fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've replaced mine several times. There's nothing special about it. IIRC, it's 1/4" fuel lines from tank to filter and filter to carb inlet. I'll bet any small engine inline filter with the right size fittings would work fine.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

For best results, use original Toro (R) parts. Or, so they say. I can't say as I can tell any difference. 1/4 inch sounds about right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My old toro has no visable filter, An inline filter before the carb is best and are sold anywhere for about 1$, if the Toro filter is built in junk it and go inline before the carb, first try adjusting the air fuel mix from the needle valve on the carb, this is what has gone out on 2 of the Toro paddle wheel blowers of mine, if you have one screw, try leaning it first, a 1/4 turn in. If no improvement go out to richen it 1/4 turn and be sure the choke pulls open. If you have 2 screws one is idle and one high speed air mix. It could be many things but start simple. At 10 years a 10$ compression tester is what I would do first before spending 30-50$ on a carb. Carbon can buildup at the exhaust port on the head, Ive never cleaned one but in manuals its recomended if you loose power, use a wood stick when cleaning at the head. The reed valve I think is in the cilinder head or cilinder, its not the carburator. The carb has a float and bowl so it should rev for awhile even with a bad filter, so id guess its the air mixure, it is to rich and turning in the high speed screw leans it. A weak ignition module can also make it run poor

Reply to
ransley

Does Honda make fuel injected 2 stroke snow blowers?

Reply to
Tony

Could be throttle body fuel injected. I enjoyed your question. And you're man enough to admit it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BURN DA BITCH TO DA GROUND - Foooooooooooooooooooo

Reply to
krazey1katt

With the right fuel mix and mixtute the top end should be good for over 2000 hours of use - too much oil in the mix and you may need to clean the exhaust a couple of times - particularly if running rich as well. I'd pull the carb and look for "greenies". Perhaps before pulling it check to see if it is possible to set it over - rich both at idle and full speed - should be able to get it rich enough to "four stroke" on you. If you can't over-richen it the carb will in all likelihood have a case of the "greenies" and will need a real good cleaning.

Reply to
clare