Toolbox question

I'm really tired of people (housemates, friends, and family) taking my tools without permission and then failing to return them. I go to get some pliars or something and they're not there, it's really annoying.
I need a small portable toolbox/hand box for my tools and need an opinion. I'm looking for one that's about 16 inches that I can put a padlock on. After looking at a few it occurred to me that a padlock might not keep people out. Some of the hinges on the plastic ones appear big enough that you could push the pins out and open it up at the hinges even if it had a padlock. What I'm wondering is how difficult it would be to do that? Would a metal box be more difficult to get into or does it depend?
Jo - the girl wrote:

With friends & family like you have, who needs enemies?
If you're concerned with them breaking hinges, you should be more concerned with them picking up the entire box, and walking away with it. Be it metal or plastic.

they will just borrow the box.........
if you have the space get something like a pickup truck box made of diamondplate and lock your tools in that.
no matter what if they want it bad enough its gone.
my best friend keeps all his tools locked up, after having to replace them too often
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was going to chain the box to something so it would be impossible for them to steal it. I just don't know which box would be harder to get into - plastic or metal.
It's kind of funny because my aunt complains about the same thing. Her husband and sons take her tools too. She says it's because they can never find their own. I wonder how some people manage to lose their tools. I always put things back in their proper place when I'm done with them, especially if they belong to someone else.
Jo - the girl wrote:

Lack of storage space. I have three roll cabinets, and that's still not enough to hold all my tools, so some inevitably end up in cardboard boxes or on shelves in the garage or...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

OF COURSE an all-metal toolbox will be harder to break into than a plastic box. Plastic also degrades over time,becomes brittle.

ADMIRABLE.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I was going to chain the box to something so it would be impossible for them to steal it. I just don't know which box would be harder to get into - plastic or metal.
=============
If you can't figure out which box would be harder to vandalize, you are too stupid to touch any tool more dangerous than a spoon.
Jo - the girl wrote: I always put things back in their proper place when I'm done

That doesn't always work. A while back I lost my electrician's pliers. I looked everywhere. Then one day I looked up at the rack above the work bench, where I am supposed to keep them, and there they were. I had been trying to figure where I used them the last time so I could go there and find them.
Bill Gill

I was going to chain the box to something so it would be impossible for them to steal it. I just don't know which box would be harder to get into - plastic or metal.
It's kind of funny because my aunt complains about the same thing. Her husband and sons take her tools too. She says it's because they can never find their own. I wonder how some people manage to lose their tools. I always put things back in their proper place when I'm done with them, especially if they belong to someone else.
I have found a cloth bag works best. You cant get into one that has a lock on it without damaging it and about the only people you are going to protect it from is people who woldnt go as far as damaging the whole box to get it it.
Jimmie

If your 'friends' would rip open a tool box to 'borrow' what they need, simply get the biggest thing with a lock that you can lift (Sears isn't too bad for this) and chain it to something permanent in the house, like a drain pipe. Adopt a policy of getting a deposit equal to the tool cost upfront before the item leaves home and then deduct something reasonable from that if they bring it back on time and in perfect condition. Consider it just a means of retraining some individuals who have gotten a bit inconsiderate over the years. You stand to gain a lot of respect, you tool collection will be intact and you won't lose any friends that really matter. HTH
Joe
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:55:57 -0800 (PST), Jo - the girl

Have serious sit-down talk with your *housemates, friends, and family*.
As others imply, the box can grow legs and walk off :(
Oren --
Oren wrote:

get a Dremel and engrave your name/other identifying mark on all your tools.
nate
(my grandpa was #234 at the mill he worked at... I'm reminded of this every time I grab a wrench)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Smaller tools use bin cards and inventory. Hard to etch dental tools :)
Oren --

When I used to do work in New York City I would keep my tools in a steel tool box with a padlock. I would also use another padlock on a 20' steel aircraft cable with hoops that I would loop through the toolbox handle and lock it down to where ever I was working. I wouldn't recommend a plastic toolbox if you want security. Sears used to have some steel boxes around the size that you are looking for with a provision for a padlock.

Get a sturdy toolbox of either metal or composite, then paint it pink with little daisies for decoration. That should keep most of the men from breaking into it. If you don't think that's enough disincentive, use a permanent marker and write something like "Jo's Sewing Supplies" or even, "Emergency Tampax supply" on the top. No one will touch it.

in the top tray you put the dollar store tools and flashlights. underneath the tray you put your favorite craftsman tools. please enjoy the wisdom that for every tool they borrow, it is one less repair task for you. also you now know what everyone will be getting for their next gift, a nice selection of economy tools.
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:55:57 -0800 (PST), Jo - the girl

Get one of those roll around lockable metal tool cabinets--lots of sizes available. I have a portable tool box, but it is empty and ready to load up with the tools I need for the next job. I'm not about to loan out my expensive tools to be kept or abused. If you have your tools well-organized you can tell at a glance what is missing.

If you've got friends who'll go to that extent to get a tool in a locked box, you have other problems than a missing tool or two.
--

Regards,

Twayne

you could lock the tools up, but play nice and leave a bunch of harbor freight specials for your friends use.
a obvious unasked question? what tools and values?