Too much mud? Sheetrock joint compound that is.

I'm remolding a small 5'x5'x 8' high bathroom and had everything down to bare studs, all walls and ceiling. I'm surprised most of the 72 pound Sheetrock bucket (4-5 gallon?) was needed just doing the tapping and feathering. Is this too much mud for a small room like this?

Reply to
# Fred #

You used, what, six sheets? For comparison, I recently completed a *major* basement remodel, using 61 sheets. And eleven buckets of mud.

So your results are pretty well in line with mine. For whatever that's worth, anyhow -- maybe we're *both* trowelling it on too thick.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bingo, 6 sheets.

For comparison, I recently completed a *major*

Could be, will need to still open another bucket for texturing. Just surprised how much mud I've flung around in that small room.

Reply to
# Fred #

The instructions on my bucket of mud says to plan for 1/3 gallon per sheet, or 2 gallons for 6 sheets. Sounds like you might be laying it on a bit thick.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Do'nt sweat it if it looks like texture will cover good,,small rooms still have corners wich account for some of the extra mud..I generally figure 1 bucket to do roughly 10 sheets with just a semi-quick brush sanding needed but if there are small rooms the amount of sheets it will do goes down..I use hot mud(setting type)for 1st coat on corner bead too wich extends the footage the buckets do also..Maybe Yer not too far over the mark.. If You see obvious humps where there should be none maybe sanding more or feathering out more will fix it,,better now than wasting time n paint..Yer call...

Reply to
Dean

I have a bucket here that says,,"4.5 gal will do 500 sq ft"..That's 15

4x8 sheets or 10 4x12 sheets and may or may not take into account excessive pre-fill or corner bead..I also have a 1 gal pail(diff brand) that says,,"will do 30-40 linear ft when applied as skim coat"..I assume they mean skim coat to cover the tape since it is'nt given as sq ft like skimming the whole sheet..I'm not trying to shoot-down any comments,,just relating what it says here that's handy..
Reply to
Dean