Toilet won't flush without high water level

I've been flushing my toilet with a bucket of water because the reservoir is cracked. The funny thing is that it won't flush unless I fill it at least 3/4's full with water...that is, most of the time. Occasionally it will flush with a smaller amount of water, but usually it takes allot before the flush movement begins. BTW, what is the normal level of water required to initiate a flush? This is not a low flow toilet, but it's a normal non-elongated type.
Does this sound like an obstacle in the trap, or...well, what else could it be? I've used one of those specialized toilet augers, the one with a 3 ft metal tube with a bend at the end (the auger cable goes through the tube) but that didn't produce anything or help the problem.
Any suggestions?
jc

Buy a new toilet? You can buy one for $59 and up.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 02:47:18 -0700, jbclem wrote:

I would buy a new toilet. In the past, we've been very happy with American Standard. Get a good one and, as you sit, be happy.
Get a new reservoir or a new toilet and don't worry about the rest of the stuff.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
jbclem wrote:

Look at a cross-section of a toilet. The water level has to rise sufficiently - and in sufficient volume - for siphoning action to occur. http://www.joneakes.com/cgi-bin/getdetailscals.cgi?id 67

You should fill the tank at least half full so you can have some pressure, otherwise it will nt work as per desgn

Your toilet is a substandard low cost unit with an unglazed undersized outlet and trap. Bite the bullet and get something better engineered, and at least check Consumer Reports and this NG archives for decent brands and models. Not all models in all brands are without faults, with the possible exception of Toto. HTH
Joe