toilet, toilet, TOILET!!!!!

Dam*n thing is still leaking around the flapper. I've NEVER had something like this that was so difficult to solve. It's been going on now for months despite everything I've tried and the suggestions here.

The latest change, as you'll recall, was using fishing line to connect to the handle rod. Worked ok, but I could hear it occasionally running earlier today. Now it seems like the flapper doesn't reseat the same way each time. It will go for a day, or several days, and then it starts leaking because when it closes it's not reseating the same way. I know this because when I moved it slightly today, the trickle leaks stopped.

Problem is that this is the brass flush valve and I had to get a flapper with a rubber ring that slid down around the overflow tube as opposed to hooking it like the plastic ones. I don't know if having totally soft rubber around this area is the cause of the latest woes... but I'll bet it is. So..... is there a replacement flapper that is either solid in the attachment area or is there one that has a metal or hard plastic ring that would slide down the overflow tube?

I'm at my wits end with this thing, never had a problem this difficult to solve.

BTW, this is an older 5 gallon toilet..

Reply to
Bill Baxter

By now you could have replaced the entire toilet. Perhaps that should be your next move.

Reply to
RonNNN

BUY A NEW TOILET BEFORE YOU HAVE A STROKE OVER IT!

Then take this old one outdoors and release your frustrations on it, using a sledge hammer, shotgun, hand gernade, or anything else that trips your trigger! You'll feel much better after.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

did you replace the whole middle part[s]; rubber seal between the tank and seat bowl? [i would do that]

and then the whole middle flush assembly [i would do both of the above]

you'd be replacing almost everything, except the big solid tank and big solid bowl

i've been through this myself, somewhat

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

I had a similar problem

$80 for a new toilet...about an hour labor

done

Reply to
philo