Toilet tide?

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.
Hank

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?
Joe
On 12/7/2010 3:58 PM, Joe wrote:

And what is he wearing right now?
In article

Not my dog.
Still the pressure and vent effect was very new to me.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Zat is not ma dog!

Does your durg bite?
(am I right with that reference?)

It is virtually always vent related. You may have enough wind in the vent to "rock" the water out or you may have bad venting allowing water retreating from another source to suck the water out.
On Dec 7, 5:14pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

First to all, I don't have any animals.
Second, I can dump a half gallon of water into the toilet and the level stays up. The water level in the tank has been consistant. There is a minor wind of maybe 10 mph. The house is about 5 years old, but I guess there could still some obstruction but the other 2 toilets seem ok.
Hank <~~~ wants to elevate to a higher level :-)

Mine have always done that with a strong intermittent wind blowing. I think it's pressure related - the wind blowing across the vent pipe sucks the air from the pipe, causing lower pressure in the pipe than in the house. The water tries to move to the lower pressure. Then the air rushes back into the vent pipe, causing the water to return to it's normal level. The result is minor wave action.
On 12/7/2010 5:43 PM, Red wrote:

Most likely. Figure it out. Atmospheric pressure is approximately 14 psi, enough to lift a column of water 32 feet. If my math is correct as little as 0.05 psi pressure differential could move the water over an inch.

One test is to watch the water level as someone dumps a 5 gallon bucket of water in the other toilets or drain the kitchen sink. Even in a perfect system you might see some ripples in the water but if the vent is plugged you might see another toilet damn near get sucked dry.
On Dec 7, 7:47pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'll try that to see what happens.
Thanks,
Hank

For our toilets, If I need a complete flush, I need to hold down the handle until the bowl clears. Then the fill up takes the longest time and the bowl fills to the max (probably more but the excess drains through).
Sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't hold down the handle long enough. The bowl mostly flushes but sometimes not even completely. Either way, with less water to replace in the tank, the fill takes less time, and the bowl doesn't quite fill up as described above.
John