Toilet-tank leak? ? ?

Page 2 of 2

Absolutely replace it. I would recommend that you shut the water off and empty it right now. Tonight. If the tank should break, not only will it dump a lot of water on the floor, but the incoming fill will be running nonstop, flooding your home. Lots of damage possible.
On Jun 3, 9:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

This is the correct answer. Our tank (forgive the pun) crapped out at five am after a night at the bar celebrating my sister's birthday... whole floor on that level was shot and it was an AMAZING mess. Thank goodness there was a drain in the laundry room or who knows how much water would have ended up in the basement (the cutoff valve was shot too, and kept spewing water).

Fixed a toilet a couple of years ago. The leak was difficult to detect. Just sitting there full of water the toilet would not leak, at least to the eye or with paper towels on the floor to locate the leak area.
Wiggle the tank slightly and see if the leak is around the tank bolts and rubber washers. I found the leak by accidentally bumping the tank during other work. Apparently, the toilet would leak when people used it and perhaps bumped / flushed the toilet. Just the small movement caused the tank to leak.
It this occurs, replace the tank bolts.