Toilet Seat Hinge Bolt Problem

I purchased a Bemis elongated toilet seat at Home Depot.

When I got home I discovered that the toilet seat hinge bolt is 1/4 inch but the hole in the toilet is 5/8 inch. I returned to Home Depot and was told they only sell seats with a 1/4 inch bolt.

They recommended a product called porca-fil (or porcafill), but they no longer stock this molding product to help fill the oversized hole.

Do I really need this filler? Isn't there a better way?

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Michael T.

Look in hardware aisle for nylon bushings, or cone-shaped washers, or even replacement nylon bolts of the correct size. If they don't have the right size of those, you can maybe fake it with short pieces of the clear plastic tubing like used for condensate lines or fish tanks. Or maybe even several layers of heat shrink tubing. Just don't use anything made of metal- it could actually fracture the porcelain if stressed just wrong. In the old days, when brass bolts were used, they had soft cone-shaped washers keeping the bolt centered in the hole. I presume these are plastic bolts with covers over them? That will hide whatever you use.

You have my sympathies- I need to do the same thing to my thrones.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Plastic bushing that is 5/8 OD and 1/4 ID Or go to a different store, like a real plumbing supply and see what they have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does it not come with the "tapered" nuts that center the bolts in the holes when tightened ??

Reply to
Reed

The nuts are similar to those in this picture.

Move mouse cursor over picture to enlarge.

The bolt itself is metal - the nut is plastic.

Reply to
Michael T.

Well, they're not tapered much but they're tapered a little bit. I think they're tapered the same amount as mine (Two of seats came with platic bolts that are thicker, but still not as big as the holes. When I tighten the bolts, the seats don't move around. Oh yeah, one has brass bolts that are about a quarter inch.)

Reply to
mm

Tighten finger tight. Thgose nuts don't need a wrench.

Reply to
mm

I've just sqirted in silicone bathtub caulk around the bolts before tightening the nuts.

It's worked for me. Not "rock solid", but it does keep the seat from angling off center, and will pull out easily enough the next time you need to change out the seat.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Try contacting them on the Internet. When small parts are missing or not present I e-mail the company and have had excellent success with a majority of them quickly forwarding the item needed at their expense.

Reply to
Phulltillt via HomeKB.com

When this first happened, I called the Bemis toll-free number which I found at

Their suggestion was to return the two recently purchased toilet seats to Home Depot and ask them to order two new seats with larger hinge bolts - 1/2 inch vs. 1/4 inch.

Not my favorite solution, but at least it is an option.

Reply to
Michael T.

I finally got a much appreciated (and very detailed) reply from Bemis Mfg., who manufactures the toilet seat with the hinge bolt problem (toilet seat wobble).

**** FROM BEMIS ***

I think the problem is not getting the plastic nut tight enough. I suggest you try replacing the plastic nut with a 3/4 to 7/8" O.D x .25" I.D. stainless steel flat washer, and two (2) 5/16 x 18 stainless steel nuts on each side. Then you will be able to put higher torque on the nut without fear of stripping the plastic nut.

You could also put a small amount of RTV silicone sealant on the underside of the square plastic hinge gasket as you assemble the seat. This will help hold the gasket on the china. Then assemble the stainless steel washers, (1 per bolt), against the china from underneath, and then one of the 5/16 x 18 nuts. Tighten until snug. Then put the washer and nut on the other side and tighten snug. Then, working from one side to the other side, use a wrench and tighten the nuts until they are very tight. Test the seat side to side as you tighten, keeping it straight. I think the torque will start to cup the stainless steel washers, thus centering and holding the bolt within the hole. This will help keep the bolt from moving within the oversized mounting hole. After the seat is good and tight, then run the additional nuts up on each side and tighten, (double-nut), to keep the nuts from loosening. This should take care of it.

If this does not work, I can machine you some bushing spacers to put in the holes, but you will need to use a piece of 5/8" diameter wooden dowel and test it in the hole to provide the correct outside diameter. If the bushings I make are tight in the mounting holes, they could force the china, and break it.

Can you give the metal hardware approach a try?

Regards, John Seaman Product Development Bemis Mfg. Co.

211 Forest Ave. Sheboygan Falls, WI 53085 P 920 467 5336 F 920 467 5304
Reply to
Scott T.

replying to Scott T., Randy Brown wrote: Hi John. My problem is that the seat snaps loose at the hinge when I close the lid. 2 of 3 have this problem. 1 has been replaced and the new one has the problem. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Randy Brown

Who the heck is John?

Maybe he left this thread 8 years ago like everyone else.

My suggestion? Replace 2 of 3 toilet seats. I'll let you decide which 2.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can do better. Please, tell him which two and save him another 8 years of trying to fix them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski