Toilet leaked - ceiling below

20 year old house and the toilet had been rocking. After a use, noticed water leaking from ceiling below. Went to pull the toilet and screws corroded and pulled right out.
Replacing the toilet today. Reviewed wax ring and toilet installation.
Is there a true need to pull out drywall from ceiling below to analize leak damage? From the look of the screws, it has been going on for a while.
Or, just replace toilet, patch water damage and move on?
You should at minimum replace the wetted drywall. Mold loves damp drywall, especially the paper backing.
if it's been going on for a while, might be dry rot.
cheers Bob

If the screws pulled out, this is very likely. At the least, OP needs to get a firm mount for the screws.
Bob
Open it up and look my last toilet leak was hidden for years floor and ceiling were all rotted

Wouldn't that be WET rot?

no
I'd go under the drywall for a look. If it's been going on for awhile the subfloor may be trashed.
We had a similiar problem at our place. A bad original plumbing job had the drain at an angle coming up to the floor and half the flange unsupported by wood (the gomer used a hole saw and cut a cloverleaf shape too big for the flange so part of it was just floating). Eventually the seal broke from the wobbly installation, flange rusted, leaked into the subfloor, and made a hell of a mess.
We had to cut out a chunk of the floor and replace it, sister the joists under it and replumb the drain with a new flange.
If you don't fix it right the whole mess may not be stable and the seal won't hold. If it's bad enough the toilet could come through the floor.
Since you have to patch the wet drywall anyway I'd take a look under it to see what's going on.
Liz