Toilet Handle Location - New Home

Page 1 of 2
[Sorry for the cross-post. Wasn't sure which group is best.]
On the final walk-through of our new home today, I noticed all of our toilet flush handles are rather hard to get to.
Could somebody that knows more than me take a look at these pictures and see if these look installed correctly with the correct parts? I'm talking about how the handle is obscured almost completely by the lid.
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/lidup.jpg
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/handle.jpg
Here's the labels of the toilets (Made by Vortens, Seat by Bemis) and how it looks with the lid down:
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/label.jpg
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/label2.jpg
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/liddown.jpg
And here's a toilet in the model home which shows much more clearance (I think due to a different tank model):
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/modelup.jpg
http://blake.is-a-geek.com/hcc/potty/modeldown.jpg
So, is the seat too big? Is the handle placed incorrectly? Does the smaller tank not match the rest of the toilet? Am I crazy for even thinking about this?
I'm going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow, but I figured I'd get better answers from you guys.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Blake
Note: the email listed works. It's just throw-away to cut down on spam. Check out sneakemail.com for details.
> Am I crazy for even

Yup
snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (Me) wrote:

==============================================================Hi Blake,
    The tanks are different--Yours appears to be narrower & shorter than the one in the model house. Talk to the builder--Bring him the pictures and put them side by side. Tell him that you want the same tanks that are in the model home.
                    RON *************************************************************** Ron Goldstein.....KA2IIA STAY YOUNG---DRIVE A VINTAGE 427 CORVETTE. KEEP YOUR MIND ACTIVE---BECOME AN AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR. REMEMBER, THERE ARE NO STRANGERS IN AMATEUR RADIO, ONLY FRIENDS THAT WE HAVE NOT YET MET. snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net****** snipped-for-privacy@arrl.net

Your tank is smaller, so the handle is closer in.

Yes!
Think of it as a "feature"!!! You won't get all that icky spray when you flush because the seat has to be down to get to the handle!
Honestly though... don't assume that you will get everything the same as what you find in the model home. Be sure to ask what is standard and what is upgraded in the model.
Oh my...I'm glad I'm not your contractor!!!! If that is all you have to complain about, you have a great house. Spend your toilet-looking time on other areas of the house. To tell you the truth, I can't remember the last time I was at someones house & thought, "Hmmmm...nice place, but the toilet handle was a little annoying".

On 27 Dec 2003 19:26:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (Me) wrote:

I'd just reach behind and flush..As I do this now, it doesn't bother me a bit.
Can't for the life of me wonder why anyone would think this is a problem?
Hard telling from the pictures. Why don't you measure how wide the seat and tank are on both installations and see which is wider. My bet is the tank is wider in the model.
You are probably crazy, but it does look to be a bit of an inconvenience to have the handle so hidden by the seat. I for one don't always put the lid down (OK, I've been TRAINED to put the SEAT down by 20+ yrs of marrage and two daughters, but not hte lid!)

Puzzled: Guys are expected to SEE that the seat is down, then lift it before spraying.. But the gals can't look and lower? Are they incapable of determining the position of the seat by looking at it?
(Personally, I wish seats in men's restrooms would automatically kift 30 seconds after taking the weight off them to avoid the problems caused by guys who lach the strength to lift the seat first..)
(My flush lever is wxposed, but the tank is an older, wider one. )
Thanks for the help!
The toilets in the model aren't upgraded, just different.
I think we're just going to have to live with it unless we can get their plumber to say he installed a mis-matched tank.
Oh well.

I have read the entire thread...and all I can say is wow....
Dont ever buy a home we installed a heating and cooling system in..you might not like where the electrical supply comes out of the main panel hiden behind the wall...or the thermostat location....or well...I figure you might not even like the way the electrican put in the light switches....particularly if he upgraded to something different than the basic toggle...

Might want to start closing the lid before flushing. That's the only thing that stops a spray of staph germs from covering everything in the bath up to a 4 foot mark on the wall. If the people who purchased your last home get a black light they can confirm this. _________________________ French Connection: http://www.metrospy.com/boycott_brands.htm

That's why we store our toothbrushes inside the medicine cabinet.
On 28 Dec 2003 07:38:25 -0800, someone wrote:

No. It can be "different" WITHOUT being "mismatched". It can be "different" without being "wrong" or anybody's "mistake". If it is a commonly sold toilet you would be hard pressed to make any successful claim of defect.
It is just your idiosyncracy, so be up froint and treat it as such. That way you do not need to try and "get" anyone else to "say" anything. If you are on good terms with the builder and they have other houses going up in the neighborhood, ask them that (though it may be silly but it bothers you), would they switch it to the same toilets that were in the model. They might actually do it for free if you have not been dicking with them and throwing fits over every little thing along the way.
Even if they will charge for the plumbers' time, it might not be much if they can just switch it out with another house under construction. Or give you the toilets out of the model, and put yours in there. And BTW, NO PICTURES. What's the point, its not that you are going to have any success PROVING anything, that is not the point. I think that would make you look even more foolish.
If this would cost you $200 for the plumber, would you still do it? It is not wrong to want your home a certain way, but that doesn't mean that anybody else made any mistakes or did anything wrong, or needs to "say" anything for you.
-v.

I see the problem. The tank was designed by someone that knows all about toilets, but little about real life. Yes, the handle is well hidden behind the seat lid. The truth is, the lid should be closed before flushing. The reality is, very few people do it.
Tests showed that after flushing a toilet, the tiny mist of water permeated the bathroom as fat as six feet. It got onto the sink and people's toothbrushes. Not visible, but was real.
Your choices are: replace put up with a little awkwardness in flushing change your sanitary habits and close the lid
My guess that most of us would do one or two. Ed

I've tried hard to refrain from responding to this thread, but I can't help myself, so here goes....
It seems to me that this guy probably wants to flush while sitting on the toilet - not afterwards. I.e., what is known as a mid-poop "courtesy" flush. I can see how the present handle arrangement might make that a bit awkward.
My recommendation? Eat more fiber.
jen
- Edwin Pawlowski -

- shinypenny or jen -

- Nehmo - If OP flushes before getting up, then he is missing the opportunity to examine. As we all know, this is an essential part of the procedure.
--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
On 27 Dec 2003 19:26:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (Me) wrote:

Take a look at: http://www.vortens.com /
Under the "Products" link:      Vienna RF W/Tank 404
It looks like they offer the tanks in 10", 12", and 14" specs. It doesn't say whether height or width. Either way the handle should be higher or further to the side on the higher widths/heights.
-- Adrian Reedy - Dallas, Texas adrian-at-airmail-dot-net
Me wrote:

well i just installed a new toilet, as the old one broke,,, and yes yours look just about right.. the handle on the new one seems like it is not set out far enough, but it is and it works fine.. is the set too big??? on mine it does not look right also, but it is and it just takes time to get used to the changed look.. the 1.6 toilets dont look normal, we are used to looking at bigger toilets and it will take some time when someone sees an old toilet and says, hey look at that toilet it looks too big, what did they use them for in the olden days?????

that depends on how fat your ass is.
Is the handle placed incorrectly? Does the