toilet flapper problem

About a 1.5 weeks ago, I changed the guts of my toilet including the flapper. The flapper was giving me a problem at first because it didn't seat well until I vaselined the plumbing it touches when the tank fills up. That worked great for about a week but now I hear the toilet begin to run again (for a few seconds several times a day) as before I did the vaseline trick.
Is there anything different I can do to make the flapper seat properly (any plumbing tricks of the trade) ?
The only two options that come to my mind are, more vaseline or replacing the flapper. Any other ideas or is there a well made flapper to stop this type leakage? If it matters, the toilet is about 8 years old and otherwise appears to be fine.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:17:50 -0600, RnR wrote:

All flappers are not created equal. Purchase a quality brand and hopefully the dimensions will be accurate enough to seal. Korky sells the red flappers that usually work well.
RnR wrote:

Are you certain it is not the tube that goes into the overflow tube being too low. If the end of the tube is below the water line it will siphon slowly causing your symptoms. It should not stick into the overflow tube by more than a half inch.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:17:50 -0600, RnR wrote:

The only flapper I could make work in my Kohler one piece was the real Kohler flapper and even then the chain adjustment is critical, within a link or two.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:17:50 -0600, RnR wrote:

I had the same problems, right off the bat, I didn't do the vaseline thing, since that kinda weirds me out. ;) I found the flapper was 'crooked' didn't sit right. I seemed that it was a manufacturing defect. I didn't return the flapper, since it was part of a kit, and by the 1000'th time the tank constantly refilled, I took it out and stompted the life out of it.
I got a new flapper, I stick with the same manufacture as the seat, since they were meant to be, and it worked.
Now this is what happened to me, you might need to get a replacement part.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
see flusher fixer at: http://www.fluidmaster.com/index.html
RnR wrote:

RnR wrote:

FWIW, I agree with the other guys. Replace the flapper, even though it's new. They're cheap.