Toilet Flange too high

For some reason, the builder put in the toilet flanges in my 5 bathrooms so that the top of the flange sticks up 3/4" above the tile floor. The toilets he put in apparently had a deeper inset and did not rock. As I am replacing the toilets, I find that new toilets have only a 1/2" recess around the outlet. This makes the new toilet sit 1/4" above the tile floor. (3/4" protruding height less 1/2 " recess). A also need about 1/4' for the compressed wax ring, leaving me 1/2 " from proper seating of the toilet.
The sewer outlet pipe is 4" ABS, coming up through the concrete slab. The ABS flange is glued to the *outside* of this pipe. The flange is not screwed down, just sitting there.
I propose to cut off the flange/pipe level with the tile floor, using an angle-grinder. I will then glue an *inside* flange into the 4" pipe. The new ABS flange is 3/8" thick and will sit directly on the tile floor. I should gain 3/8" using this approach, which should be enough to seat the toilet properly.
Does this make sense?
Walter www.rationality.net
Hope this image of the flange will work:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5062/1000487z.jpg
Walter www.rationality.net

You're the second poster with this problem in the past couple of weeks. Your idea sounds fine as long as you get a good seal to the new flange.

Walter... If want a good and neat and easy job cutting get the multi purpose tool from Harbor Freight. My son bought one to cut flush a plastic pipe on camp trailer dump tank. No other way to get to it. Works great so I bought one also and found how good it works on flush cuts that would be difficult any other way. WW

Not sure about that. See link to cable saw below. Borg has them as well.
http://www.generaltools.com/Products/PVC-Pipe-Cable-Saw__858.aspx
I swear by my HF tool as well. May even work better than a cable saw in this case since the user might tend to hold the ends off the floor making it difficult cutting through the entire flange. Be aware the high oscillations of the saw will melt the plastic. If you stop where the blade is still within PVC you could weld the blade in the plastic. Even the link to the cable saw warns about it.

Not sure about that. See link to cable saw below. Borg has them as well.
http://www.generaltools.com/Products/PVC-Pipe-Cable-Saw__858.aspx
I swear by my HF tool as well. May even work better than a cable saw in this case since the user might tend to hold the ends off the floor making it difficult cutting through the entire flange. Be aware the high oscillations of the saw will melt the plastic. If you stop where the blade is still within PVC you could weld the blade in the plastic. Even the link to the cable saw warns about it.
snip...
Heard ya the first time Red. :-)