toilet ball extension

my friend has an antique toilet tank thats like 5ft above the toilet... the float/ball seems standard, but the extension rod is 5+3/4 long and it broke into the ball leaving 1/4" on the extension...
so, off i went to HD. Menards, Lowes to find a hooked rod longer than the "standard?" 5" rod without luck.
my best solution was to get a 13 cent teflon tube, 1/2" and substitute a small threaded screw to go into the float... the thickness of the teflon sleeve stops it from entering the guide...
either i need a proper length (5 3/4") rod, or maybe get into brazing cause i'm told soldering won't work...
small problem, but losta irritation to the home...
thanks!
JS
you can buy any length of plain brass rod, cut and tap it or have a local machine shop do it. brass cuts and threads easy.
no anyone at a local vo tech school, with machine shop class?
AND Books wrote:

There is no reason soldering won't work, heck electrical tape would probably work and certainly wire ties would. There are all sorts of ways of putting rods together, e.g., side by side with a metal clamp between is used on all sorts of things where rod length needs to be adjusted.
Just get a new rod, cut it off to fit, and solder it to the original over a 3-4" length. If you are really unconvinced, wrap it in two places with fine copper wire (18 gage) before or after soldering.
very good idea!!!! wish I can up with that,I will be using this tip in the future.

excellent thought... how's about a thin copper-spring as the junction like you find in kid-kits at radio-shack, or even a ball-point pen that will work... luv it! going to do it... save alot of time...
: very good idea!!!! wish I can up with that,I will be using this tip in the : future.
: :> AND Books wrote: :>> my friend has an antique toilet tank thats like 5ft above the toilet... :>> the float/ball seems standard, but the extension rod is 5+3/4 long and :>> it broke into the ball leaving 1/4" on the extension...:>> :>> so, off i went to HD. Menards, Lowes to find a hooked rod longer than :>> the "standard?" 5" rod without luck.:>> :>> my best solution was to get a 13 cent teflon tube, 1/2" and substitute :>> a small threaded screw to go into the float... the thickness of the :>> teflon sleeve stops it from entering the guide...:>> :>> either i need a proper length (5 3/4") rod, or maybe get into brazing :>> cause i'm told soldering won't work...:>> :>> small problem, but losta irritation to the home...:>> :>> thanks!:>> :>> JS:>> :>> :>> :>> :> :> There is no reason soldering won't work, heck electrical tape would :> probably work and certainly wire ties would. There are all sorts of ways :> of putting rods together, e.g., side by side with a metal clamp between is :> used on all sorts of things where rod length needs to be adjusted.:> :> Just get a new rod, cut it off to fit, and solder it to the original over :> a 3-4" length. If you are really unconvinced, wrap it in two places with :> fine copper wire (18 gage) before or after soldering.