Toggle switches

Well at least a couple of plasma globes and a fog machine.
Jimmie
In typed:

As long as they're UL or equvalently recognized (not approved - doesn't apply to components) you should be fine even with electrical inspectors. To make sure, give your local code enforcement office a call; they are the final authority on such matters. You'll need the switch specs too.
HTH,
Twayne`
On Tue, 17 May 2011 11:46:22 -0400, "Twayne"

Hubbel/Raco has switches that are U/L listed (not just recognized) and that is generally the test with your AHJ. This still does not mean he will "approve" their use in this application. (as Twayne says) They really like to see things done the way they usually see things done. I am guessing you are not going to see an inspector anyway so just try to be safe.

Late to the party, but once upon a time they were used as the OP describes... I remember an old girlfriend's house in Pittsburgh which had brass switch plates (the nice thick pressed kind... probably .030 or .040 with nice crisp bevels) with brass toggles in the center of them for light switches. they all still worked...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel