Tire pressure

Page 2 of 5
On 12/12/2014 10:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

oil could be saved if everyone in America kept their tires properly inflated? I believe the correct answer was in the billions of gallons. Sobering!

I doubt it's that much. Be interesting if that were true.
my 2014 Toyota Avalon has some sort of automatic low tire pressure check
I wonder how this technology works...
marc
On 12/12/2014 10:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Our 2002 Chrysler 300M has the TPMS (=Tire Pressure Monitoring System") that shows the pressure in each tire, including the spare, and warns if the pressure goes below a certain level: I don't remember for sure, but I think if the pressure goes below 28psi (normal is 32psi). It "recognizes" when a wheel has been exchanged with the spare.
Each TPMS sensor has a little battery-powered radio transmitter that sends information to the on-board computer at regular intervals. I've read that the batteries usually are not replaceable, so the sensors need to be replaced eventually. Ours are still fine after 12 years.
From the 2008 model year on, such systems have been mandatory because it was recognized that incorrect tire pressure can contribute to accidents and that people don't seem to bother to check their tire pressures these days.
Almost every new safety device has been resisted, either because people didn't want to pay for it, or because they saw it as itself dangerous ("Electric headlights are too bright: they'll dazzle people; let's stick to kerosene"), or both.
Perce

let's see, 100 million cars means at least average of 10 gallons per car, or 40 quarts per year. Nope not being used up there, unless they meant 'lifetime'. How about trucking industry, yeah, they must be the true culprits of using all that oil. I'd be more worried about how one heavy 18 wheeler is equivalent to the traffic of 50,000 cars.

I don't think they have yet mandated that when this expensive shit goes bad it has to be repaired. not yet, anyway.

That radial air keeps twisting around and is much harder to measure.
On 12/12/2014 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:

On 12/12/2014 12:51 PM, Meanie wrote:

I expect a coupon in the mail, one day soon. Harbor Freight will have a 20% off sale on left handed nitrogen filled radial tire gauges which measure tire side wall deflection. Comes with first set of batteries.

Checking it with the tire gauge WAS the test. I should have mentioned that this is only for cars or small truck tires. You cant do it on bicycle tires, wheelbarrow tires or anything small. I have a farm tractor, and those big tires have a totally different sound. I normally find a gauge for them, or the small tires. Of course wheelbarrow tires are not critical. Just dont over inflate or they blow up.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:39:32 -0500, Frank

That's what those sensors are for: making $$$ for the dealers.

That's exactly what I did... five years ago.

Well, I don't know any of your friends.
Not that I think about it, my 2001 LeSabre had a low pressure indicator so the technology goes back quite a ways.

I had a pickup like that. I soon put an eyebolt in the truck bed, and chained the spare to it. Drove like that for over 20 years. Seldom needed it but when I did was a lot more convenient. And especially convenient to check air pressure.

The one for my Toyoto 2007 truck had a sensor in the spare tire.
Now that truck has a bad sensor on one of the wheels, and a 2008 Camry has a bad sensor also. Two differant places gave me a price of $ 50 and $ 70 to replace them. I just let it go. They probably all will need to be replaced soon.
Frank wrote:

I have the studs mounted on a set of rims that don't have the TPMS sensors. The orange light flashes a few times when I start up and then goes solid. It's not annoying enough to bother taping particularly since the panel is in the center of the dash.
philo wrote:

It has been but the OP was asking for an alternative to a pressure gauge. For example I have a set of aftermarket rims that I have the studs mounted on. They don't have the sensors and for the price of 4 sensors I can check the pressure periodically.
dpb wrote:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html
Since 2008, the way I read it.
Scroll down to the ' D. Impacts of the Final Rule' section. The estimate was TPMS might save 120 lives per year and the sensor system would cost more than any payback from fuel efficiency or tire mileage. In 2012 there were 33,561 traffic fatalities. This is down from 41,259 in 2007 though I expect people not being able to afford gasoline may swamp out any tire pressure problems.
Harry K wrote:

Or you ignore the amber icon all winter. I'm good with that.
dpb wrote:

Holding up his hand... I rotate and swap the winter and summer rims/tires myself. I don't get any surprises if I have a flat since I don't torque the nuts down to 400 ft-lbs like the Magnificent Hulk at the tire store. When it comes time for a new set of shoes, I dump the set off in the morning and pick them up at night rather than hanging around a tire store for hours. Works for me.
On 12/13/2014 1:41 PM, rbowman wrote:

Not enough snow/ice here to bother to change the automobiles out and the 4x4 PUs all have all-weather on them, anyway. When it does snow here, it almost always blows so much that car can't do anything with the drifting anyway because such low ground clearance so the tires really make no difference.
Bought the wife a Buick Lucerne w/ the AWD and 20" rims so she'd have something w/ more traction/clearance on the muddy roads when it does (rarely last several years of drought) rain enough that the roads are muddy...it's been useful a couple of times since had it for the purpose. It's also actually a decent field-errand car for meals during harvest time and the like as she's so short that getting in/out of and driving the 4-wheelers is a lot of work and she doesn't like them. The Enclave handles the sandy fields very well and has enough clearance to not high center unduly or be a terrible fire hazard w/ the catalytic converter dragging stubble...
dpb wrote:

On my F150, I would have to go with a longer center bolt. I'm not sure if the nut assembly would interfere but I don't think so.