Tire pressure

But people with nitrogen filled tires need a nitrogen gauge.

Reply to
Meanie

If someone can't remove a cap and gauge a tire in under 15 seconds, I doubt they have the mentality to properly use a tire pushed gauge as you suggested.

Reply to
Meanie

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice" part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I gave up on tire gauges years ago. I can thump a tire, which is hit it with my fist, and tell by the sound when it's at the proper level. When checked with a gauge, I'm always nearly exact to the proper inflation. Of course this is something that you cant just learn. But in my older age, I just know the right sound. Tire gauges are cheap, but no matter where you put them, they are never found when needed it seems.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Don't see why that is a "must", necessarily. Of course, the system won't function correctly without them, but don't see anything that would make it mandatory.

I've not run a second set of rims on a passenger vehicle in at least 40 years; doubt if there's one in ten-thousand that do...

Reply to
dpb

On 12/12/2014 12:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote: ...

I'd be willing to put that to a controlled test/demonstration... :)

Reply to
dpb

In response to a question about how the tire low inflation works, there are two types. THe newest one uses actual pressure monitor in thevalve stem. The older version, compared the number of revolutions of tires compared to the revolutions of the other tires. If one tire, over a period of maybe a mile or two, showed a highernumber of revolutions, that tire would be like ly to be low on pressure unles the vehicle was driven in circles for a long time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Our 2002 Chrysler 300M has the TPMS (=Tire Pressure Monitoring System") that shows the pressure in each tire, including the spare, and warns if the pressure goes below a certain level: I don't remember for sure, but I think if the pressure goes below 28psi (normal is 32psi). It "recognizes" when a wheel has been exchanged with the spare.

Each TPMS sensor has a little battery-powered radio transmitter that sends information to the on-board computer at regular intervals. I've read that the batteries usually are not replaceable, so the sensors need to be replaced eventually. Ours are still fine after 12 years.

From the 2008 model year on, such systems have been mandatory because it was recognized that incorrect tire pressure can contribute to accidents and that people don't seem to bother to check their tire pressures these days.

Almost every new safety device has been resisted, either because people didn't want to pay for it, or because they saw it as itself dangerous ("Electric headlights are too bright: they'll dazzle people; let's stick to kerosene"), or both.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Checking it with the tire gauge WAS the test. I should have mentioned that this is only for cars or small truck tires. You cant do it on bicycle tires, wheelbarrow tires or anything small. I have a farm tractor, and those big tires have a totally different sound. I normally find a gauge for them, or the small tires. Of course wheelbarrow tires are not critical. Just dont over inflate or they blow up.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Also temperature. Higher speed rating tires have heavier sidewalls. That's why you should never mix speed ratings.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:39:32 -0500, Frank wrote in

That's what those sensors are for: making $$$ for the dealers.

That's exactly what I did... five years ago.

Reply to
CRNG

I expect a coupon in the mail, one day soon. Harbor Freight will have a 20% off sale on left handed nitrogen filled radial tire gauges which measure tire side wall deflection. Comes with first set of batteries.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, I don't know any of your friends.

Not that I think about it, my 2001 LeSabre had a low pressure indicator so the technology goes back quite a ways.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

I was visiting a friend who had bought a new pickup at about that time, and it had one like that. The light came on and he checked all 4 tires on the ground. None of them were low. It was the spare tire.

On this pickup, the spare tire is mounted under the bed, with the valve up (and so inaccessible), making it hard to check. He put it back on with the valve down.

BTW, is these some benefit to having the valve up (and hidden)?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Now, w/o a full-size spare, not sure any have the sensor in the spare...and don't think have ever had one even with the full-size rim that had it in the spare. Certainly never had any indication of such on any vehicle I've had (bunch of GM and one Chrysler in the lot).

Other than possibly minimizing vandalism and the very rare chance of a thrown rock or the like damaging the stem can't think of any. Altho I've had some that the hanger would only allow the rim to sit that way as the centering portion was too high for the recess otherwise. OTOMH can't think of which way any of the current three are...haven't had to use the spare in years (which is actually quite an unusual occurrence come to think of it with the number of flats get from stuff in the dirt road that gets turned over almost every time they grade them. Of course, the car tires aren't as rugged so small stuff that gets them doesn't always actually cause a puncture in the trucks...

Reply to
dpb

Mark Lloyd wrote in news:m%_iw.916693 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx18.iad:

I had a pickup like that. I soon put an eyebolt in the truck bed, and chained the spare to it. Drove like that for over 20 years. Seldom needed it but when I did was a lot more convenient. And especially convenient to check air pressure.

Reply to
KenK

The one for my Toyoto 2007 truck had a sensor in the spare tire.

Now that truck has a bad sensor on one of the wheels, and a 2008 Camry has a bad sensor also. Two differant places gave me a price of $ 50 and $ 70 to replace them. I just let it go. They probably all will need to be replaced soon.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have the studs mounted on a set of rims that don't have the TPMS sensors. The orange light flashes a few times when I start up and then goes solid. It's not annoying enough to bother taping particularly since the panel is in the center of the dash.

Reply to
rbowman

It has been but the OP was asking for an alternative to a pressure gauge. For example I have a set of aftermarket rims that I have the studs mounted on. They don't have the sensors and for the price of 4 sensors I can check the pressure periodically.

Reply to
rbowman

Since 2008, the way I read it.

Scroll down to the ' D. Impacts of the Final Rule' section. The estimate was TPMS might save 120 lives per year and the sensor system would cost more than any payback from fuel efficiency or tire mileage. In 2012 there were

33,561 traffic fatalities. This is down from 41,259 in 2007 though I expect people not being able to afford gasoline may swamp out any tire pressure problems.
Reply to
rbowman