Timer 'stat for HVAC?

I would like to have full control over the HVAC in our building, such that it can be turned on just an hour before we arrive and turn off at a set time in the evening.
An acquaintance who is an HVAC guy says that these programmable 'stats are available only for AC, not for heating.
This doesn't sound right. Why would it matter what a timer is controlling? The thermostat part of it (heat or cool), yes, but the timer part shouldn't matter, should it?
How can I get a timer for all functions of the thermostat?
Makes? Models? URLs?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

it
in
Can be done. We use an Intermatic programmable timer. It has programmable settings for every day of the week. In our case, we control the circuit to the heater, not the individual thermostats.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:43:27 -0700, Edwin Pawlowski wrote

I forgot to mention: we need two on-off times per day. Some days the building is occupied in the morning and late afternoon, but not inbetween.
Is it possible to have 2 on-off times per day?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net
A Set back programable stat would work, run your setback to the highpoint in summer My cheap Lux has a 90 f for AC mode and 45 low for heating. multiple points of day. Or get a clock timer wired in.

I have a hunter 44550 stat that works on heating and cooling. You can program 7 days alike, Mon-Fri then Sat-Sun, or you can do individual programs for each day. Even gives run times and filter times. It came with my new house I was impressed....

it
in
Programable 'stats are available to do what you want, brands and models are too numerous to mention! Find another HVAC guru, the one you have don't have a clue! Greg