Time to break out the assault rifle!

Page 1 of 2

I continue to be depressed and angered by the "quality" electrical work done on this house.
The outlet that I was working on because it stuck out from the wall, uncovered even more quality work. Here, I'll showcase it below.
Who need's an outlet box?
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/houseideas/websize/PC250079.JPG
Oh, there is one in there. What quality construction. Mind you this is ORIGINAL work - as in the contractor did this.
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/houseideas/websize/PC250080.JPG
Wonderful, stablock components to top it off!
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenvector/houseideas/websize/PC250081.JPG
I removed it and wirenutted the circuit closed until I can fix it. Preferably after the Christmas vacation. By the way, ALL the outlets in my house are on a single 15A circuit - that's nice to know.
I have a long long battle ahead of me. Update the panel to 200A service, once I get a larger panel, re-wire house separating the circuits out, re-wire the oven circuit, re-wire the dryer circuit, re-wire the.....
LOL (not funny for you, I suppose...) Great pics of the "deed" though.
What keeps me awake nights are the things I *haven't* discovered.
Jim
Eigenvector wrote:

Appearently the contractor had forgotten his drill on that day. My GOD! that chiseled out channel for the wires floored me. I'm glad I shut off the power prior to digging it out, I actually cut the wire insulation with the drywall knife because the hot wire was tucked UNDER the drywall where it had fallen out of the channel.

Eigenvector wrote:

Is there enough slack you can fix it with a nail plate and an old work box?
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

There isn't ANY slack in that wiring that I could find - but I'm not dinking with it today. After 8 years of never having holidays off I'm not doing anything constructive. Sitting at home, surfing the web, slacking off.
I'll see about putting a box in Tuesday or Wednesday, I don't think there's that much slack though the wires looked pretty taught coming into the old box. I'll take a drill to it and feed them through, but I'll have to open up the wall quite a bit more to do that.
You could always raise the outlet a foot or so. Drill thru the stud and feed the cable to the other side.
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:14:35 -0800, "Eigenvector"

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:32:43 -0800, "Eigenvector"

Ya never can have too many outlets......
Merry Christmas
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

You're going to have to move the box anyway (it has to be accessible) so you might just as well put an outlet in it.
--
Keith

Eigenvector wrote:

Sounds like what I spent today doing. The girlie was a good sport about playing fish tape operator on Christmas day; I separated one circuit into three - clothes washer, hall lights, and one recep. in the kitchen - I left the washer on the orig. although I will rewire with romex and a GFCI later, put the hall lights on a 15A breaker (I figured since it appeared to be 14AWG that that would be appropriate) and put the recep in the kitchen on its own 20A breaker since the microwave is plugged into that one.
Now I'm all fired up to hang the new ceiling fan in the kitchen... yeah it's kinda sick but hey, whaddayagonnado. Oh, and I need to run a circuit for the range; it's now running off an extension cord until I can run a circuit for that too. (yes, it's gas, don't worry.)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Update: I got all three circuits hooked back up and working correctly. Ceiling fan is hung and works, even wired up a wall control for it (I have an aversion to pull chains for some reason.) Only casualty is that the tip of my ring finger is purply blue because my aim was not so good trying to drive in a cable staple at an odd angle... oops...
Merry Christmas. Believe it or not it feels damn good to be working on my own home. 1st xmas ever doing that.
Now I just got to run a circuit for the range before the girlie gets PO'd at the ghettofabulous extension cord...
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Good luck.
How did this pass inspection? Are your photos of modified wiring that did not require inspection?
Reminds me of a case in a college town where a greedy landlord added circuits to a rental unit using TV ribbon cable. There was a fire and only his crafty lawyer kept him out of jail.

I can only presume the inspector didn't pop the outlet cover off this one to see what was underneath. You would have had to have removed the outlet to see it. The only reason why I discovered it was because I plugged in a tight fitting plug and when I pulled it out the outlet came with it. But as I said, this is original work done in 1959 when the house was built.

Sorry, I thought you meant it was recent new construction. My money is on the previous owners upgrading the electricity themselves.
Dick
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 02:58:40 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

My home is about ten years old. I found a hidden/secluded electric box that should have never been the way it was - hidden. It was not the previous owner as he was in an asylum, he was a union electrician.
The builder labor hid the box; was my guess.
-- Oren
At a parts house near me, they told of a fellow who was buying many feet of 16 gage lamp cord. Someone asked why, he said he was rewiring his house and that was a lot easier to fish through the walls.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

After you kill the guy that wired the place, take his wallet and use the money and rewire the whole house. Till then, dont plug in anything that exceeds one watt.
snipped-for-privacy@someISP.com wrote:

I'd say he's gonna need a lot of ammo before he finally shoots the _right_ person responsible for that hack job. A lot can happen to a house in 45 years. Looks to me like that door was cut in after the house was built. Why would a receptacle outlet be placed that close to a door in new construction? Aren't rough openings for doors usually double-framed? That one doesn't seem to be. I haven't met a carpenter yet who will notch a double-frame for an electric box. Looks to me like whoever installed the door decided not to double-frame it, possibly because the electric box was in the way, was also the same person who didn't have the forsight to see that the door trim would be in the way of the outlet and/or cover plate, then to finish the hack job notched the stud (also something that most carpenters refuse to do). Sorry, but that looks like a classic DIY hack job.
Eigenvector wrote:

That wouldn't have passed an inspection so I assume either there was no requirement for one or the builder somehow got away w/o it.
Oh, I've got an idea -- appears the box being on the wrong side of the stud meant it got covered by the door casing. If so, I'm guessing the trim guy(s) did the "fix", not the electrician and was after the electrical was inspected. Also, looks like a lot of the grief could be attributed to the drywall guys altho the box may have been set too shallow.
Stablok were listed and code-compliant at the time unduobtedly, so can't fault the guy _too_ much there even though it/they turned out to be a "better idea" that wasn't necessarily better, just faster, therefore cheaper.
That goes back to my mantra on the thread the other day on PEX -- "cheaper and quicker" isn't synonymous w/ "better".
dpb, 12/25/2006,5:53:09 PM, wrote:

Isn't there another expression similar to that? Someone correct me if I'm wrong:
"Speed, Quality, Cost. Pick any two."