tiling over sheetrock vs cement board

All the pros say , you got to use cbu or your walls will turn to mush. Well I just tore down my 4" tiles around my tub/shower and the walls were just fine after 30+ years. Maybe if there are several people taking hour long showers everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking cbu is insurance but I am going with good old sheetrock!

Reply to
mark

Obviously, you can go with whatever you like, but your logic is wrong to start with.

You said: "Maybe if there are several people taking hour long showers everyday and you don't maintain your grout and caulking"

If it's all about maintaining your caulk and grouting, then why does it matter how long the showers last? If you are basing your "protection" on the grout and caulking, then no water should ever get through, even if the showers last all day. Maybe your maintenance frquency will need to increase, but that's all it's based - the maintenance.

That said, take it from someone who moved into a house where there was no indication of grout or caulking issues - even after a professional home inspection.

6 months later we had a leak and I found that the drywall behind the shower tile was mush. I had to gut the shower area to repair it. Had it been Cement Board, I would have merely needed to fix the leak.

Your choice...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:94ca1423-509e-4561-9cb7- snipped-for-privacy@l3g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

Even greenboard doesn't meet building codes any more, and hasn't for several years -- I know it didn't in 2008 when I redid the shower in our master bath.

Cementboard is not the only alternative, though. I used Fiberock for mine, and it's just fine so far, no problems at all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

There is a waterproofing membrane that can be used on green board. If the seams are tight, it's supposed to work, even on drywall.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Thanks for the replies, I decided to go with densarmor similar to densshield, fiberglass coating instead of paper (no mould food) and the core is impregnated with water resistance and anti mould ingredients. I tested it in a bucket of water for 4 days - no breakdown at all

Reply to
mark