Tile on old floor

Hey everyone,

I want to install tile in a home I'm buying. The house is very old (1785) and the floors joists are logs. Lots of modernizing has been done, and 2x6 or 2x8's have been added in between the old floor joists. The floor does not feel bouncy at all.

Now, I want to tear up the carpeting and put down tile. I'll put down cement board first, but how does one ensure that the grout won't crack from flexing? There must be a way tp ensure this, I've seen plenty of tile in old homes. Would the trick be to be sure the floor is absolutely bounce free? Add columns in the basement?

-Jeff

Reply to
John