Tile on old floor

Hey everyone,
I want to install tile in a home I'm buying. The house is very old (1785) and the floors joists are logs. Lots of modernizing has been done, and 2x6 or 2x8's have been added in between the old floor joists. The floor does not feel bouncy at all.
Now, I want to tear up the carpeting and put down tile. I'll put down cement board first, but how does one ensure that the grout won't crack from flexing? There must be a way tp ensure this, I've seen plenty of tile in old homes. Would the trick be to be sure the floor is absolutely bounce free? Add columns in the basement?
-Jeff
<< I want to install tile in a home I'm buying. The house is very old (1785) and the floors joists are logs. >>
Before you rush into this consider the esthetics of the house. Of course, if extensive "modernizing" has been done there may not be any charm or character left, so it may not matter. Might be advisable to just live in the place for some months and generate a priority list of best places to spend the money. Consulting a competent architect/structural engineer could actually save you time and money over the long run and produce the best result for you and the house. Good luck.
Joe