Tile Core Bit for Marble and Travertine?

I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower accessory holes in new travertine.
I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is there something else I should be using?
Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces, so they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use something that will break or otherwise mess up the material.
Joe

done underwater. it will burn up quickly if not. you can make a dam using plumbers putty to contain the water. don't apply constant pressure. use for a few seconds, left, drill, etc.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Like this...35mm should be 1 3/8"
http://www.khue.com/dept/tool/dbits.htm
Since I'll need it before a mail-order item could arrive, I'll probably end up with the $65 item....still alot cheaper than paying someone to cut all the holes for me.
Thanks for the usage tip!
Joe

yes. the cooler it runs, the longer it will last. you want to ensure you get water into the inner part of the core. they have center water feed drill chucks for these in industry. i've seen them cheaper on ebay, maybe <$25. add a little antifreeze to the water.
big ones like these are best used in a drill press. any sideways motion of the drill may cause it to bind. i use a tripod drill press for these types of things. it can be done by hand, but it's really hard to do so, although granite is easier to drill than glass without breakage (bit or material).
Joe S wrote:

Marble/travertine is very soft. You can cut it with anything that would cut aluminum, probably wood...drill bit, saber saw, router. I sure wouldn't pay $65 to cut a few holes in it but I *would* check on a scrap piece to see how much chipping there is. Worse case would be to drill a ring of small holes and knock out the center.
dadiOH wrote:

Thanks...I'll try some experiments first. I have lots of travertine scrap, but not much excess marble.
--
Joe