Tile Core Bit for Marble and Travertine?

I need to make some lav faucet holes in new marble, and shower accessory holes in new travertine.

I see a $65 Tile Core Bit at Lowe's. Is this the proper tool, or is there something else I should be using?

Obviously the holes will be covered by their respective trim pieces, so they don't have to be super pretty...I just don't want to use something that will break or otherwise mess up the material.

Joe

Reply to
Joe S

i don't know what that is, but you need a diamond bit. it works best when done underwater. it will burn up quickly if not. you can make a dam using plumbers putty to contain the water. don't apply constant pressure. use for a few seconds, left, drill, etc.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

pieces, so

something

Like this...35mm should be 1 3/8"

Since I'll need it before a mail-order item could arrive, I'll probably end up with the $65 item....still alot cheaper than paying someone to cut all the holes for me.

Thanks for the usage tip!

Joe

Reply to
Joe S

yes. the cooler it runs, the longer it will last. you want to ensure you get water into the inner part of the core. they have center water feed drill chucks for these in industry. i've seen them cheaper on ebay, maybe

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Marble/travertine is very soft. You can cut it with anything that would cut aluminum, probably wood...drill bit, saber saw, router. I sure wouldn't pay $65 to cut a few holes in it but I *would* check on a scrap piece to see how much chipping there is. Worse case would be to drill a ring of small holes and knock out the center.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Thanks...I'll try some experiments first. I have lots of travertine scrap, but not much excess marble.

Reply to
Joe S