Tile backsplash over wallpaper?

I know it would be better to replace the substrate with backerboard or greenboard, but can I apply mastil over painted wallpaper if it's old and glued really well? I'd like to do this as simply as possible, and replacing the drywall behind the sink and stove is not a beginner's job.
-Kevin
dfdgf wrote:

No need to replace the drywall but I suspect everyone - including me - will tell you to take off the wallpaper first. Actually, you can probably tile over it.