Tightening light assembly

Recently, I repaired an old lamp fixture. Now the 'socket shell' and 'socket cap' assembly seem to have a little more play than they previously did.
Occasionally, they will break apart if the lamp is not closed carefully. Any suggestions on how create a better fit? Just pushing them together harder doesn't do anything.
http://images.lowes.com/general/l/lamp_kit.gif
This is the link showing what I mean by 'socket shell' and 'socket cap'.
alt.home.repair:

Every time you take one of those apart, it gets a little looser. The prongs on one half have to fit tightly into the recepticals on the other half. I suspect your prongs are getting mashed down, the two halves are geting out of perfect shape, and the thin metal is losing its "spring". Also, if the prongs don't seat right the whole thing will be loose.
You can fool with it and make it a little better, or you can go buy a new one. I'd buy a new one for the time it takes to fix the old one.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
on 12/31/2007 12:50 PM Charlie S. said the following:

I have stretched the diameter of the socket shell to a tighter fit in the socket cap.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Also, may sure there is not an excessive amount of wire. I trimmed a little wire off so the socket would recess into the cap easier. This allowed the shell to snap in place. Oren --