Tiger Foam against roof sheathing ?

Hi folks. My new cottage is all closed in weather tight but without any interior finish and I'm looking at insulation options. I like the idea of spray in foam because of the potential for rodents in batt insulation.

Question, would you spray the stuff tight against the inside of the roof sheathing? Or would it be best to maintain an airspace against the roof with Rafter-Mate vents or something similar, vented between soffit and attic, spraying over that instead.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John

I think venting is important but what abour SIPs construction, Ive had chipmunks in my foam and ive heard carpenter ants nest as well.

Reply to
ransley

Everyone I talk to says to vent, so vent it will be. I'm also leaning toward regular batt insulation. The place is pretty darn tight with

2x6 walls and all new doors and windows so it hopefully will be easy to keep critters out, or to trap the few who might make it in... heckuva lot cheaper too.

John

Reply to
John

I looked into foam for our new house, but the builder was too busy to accommodate anything different, so I couldn't. 8

Reply to
websurf1

Trust me, Tiger Foam is the best around. I fixed my 3 car garage last fall and this winter its been soooo warm inside it's unreal.

Reply to
Mundt3

foam is the way to go closed cell about R6 per inch, no need for venting since moisture laden air cant get near the wood.

with a long lifved roof system the rubber membrame is a much better choice than tar paper. seals all the nail holes and prevents ice dam damage

the foam and proper roof will cost more but reward you in a lifetime of energy savings

Reply to
hallerb

Unfortunately, until we can convince the developers and mass builders of this wisdom, it is near impossible to get them to change. They know what they already know, and will take no risks. THEY don't pay the utility bills for the rest of the life of the house....

Reply to
websurf1

might be time for mandatory building code insulation upgrade.........

good for the buyer, good for the environment. good for resale value.

Reply to
hallerb