Water Heater: Should I be worried?

Hi all;

I replaced a water heater about a year ago with a Whirlpool.

Sometimes, but not always, I can hear faint splash and sizzle noises coming from it, like a drop of water hitting something hot every few seconds. It doesn't persist long. THe unit works very well, and there's no indication of external leakage.

Is this normal, or is something amiss?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

if you live in a high humidity area, with cold incoming water condensation will cause that.

any signs of water leaks at the tank

Reply to
hallerb

if you live in a high humidity area, with cold incoming water

No, the unit is pretty visible, and I can see underneath it well, no leaks.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

then forget about it, but since its still under warranty call the manufacturer and ask.

noise is hard to pin down, some folks are very sensitive, others seemingly cant hear the exact same noise.

only be concerned if a leak can do bad damage, like if tanks in a finshed game room

Reply to
hallerb

You didn't say if it was gas or electric, but I'll tell you my story anyway...

I had a gas water heater that sprung a pin-hole leak right near the top of the flue tube. The leak was not a drip, but a "mist" that shot from the unit whenever it was under pressure. When the burner was on, the mist would get caught in the rising flue gases, hit the inverted funnel on the flue pipe and condense, dripping back down onto the top of the unit. I can't recall if it sizzled, in fact I don't even recall what caught my attention and made me investigate the problem. It was actually pretty interesting. If I turned the burner off, no drip. As soon as I would turn it back on, water would start dripping off the funnel.

Perhaps you have a similiar situation?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's gas. The sizzle seems to be coming from down low on the unit, near the flame. No sign of any water or steam or mist. I live in northern CA and it's been rainey and cool, condensation is a real possibility.

I'll keep an eye on it and check back.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Probably normal condensation dripping through the flue pipe. My WH had a notice about that in the owners manual and I think there is also note on a label affixed to the WH. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

If it's leaking down inside the flue tube, I don't think you'd be able to see it unless you pulled the flue and looked straight down into the tube with a flashlight. It could be dripping down onto the hot burner or something that the pilot light is keeping warm. Just a thought...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

quoted text -

theres a flame deflector inside the inner tube, doutbful to see the entire tube

Reply to
hallerb

de quoted text -

True...maybe that's where his sizzling is coming from - a leak inside the tube above the deflector.

A leak below the deflector might never be found, unless the unit was allowed to cool to a point where the water didn't evaporate, eventually pooling enough to appear on the floor.

Reply to
DerbyDad03