threshold in, solid as a rock, thanks

http://i54.tinypic.com/30mmmow.jpg
I got a really good finish on this threshold, and I think my calculus for creating the color matches the other ones.
I'll put on a skirt on the bottom tomorrow, but otherwise, it's done.
Still accepting any criticisms.
Cheers,
--
Uno

Uno wrote:

OK. That's about the worst photo I have ever seen.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 9/4/2010 7:37 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Not a biggie, but you will probably come to regret that sharp-edged 45 degree bevel on the outside. That is where the finish will wear off first, and if anybody in hard boots stubs their foot on it, may even splinter. I wouldn't do anything now, but when it comes time to refinish, I'd ease those crisp edges with a sander. I don't remember- is that door exposed to weather, or is that porch covered? If that brick has ANY chance of ever being wet, I'd hold the skirt up off it.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Gosh, I hope not. I guess if I have to refinish it, I can route it with a bigger bit. One doesn't have to destroy it to remove it.
I was going to make it the depth of the oak, which is 1-1/2" and shoot it on to be flusk with the bottom of the threshold.
Gotta go do it!
--
Uno

You don't help around the house, you drink too much, you eat too much, you watch too much TV, you leave your dirty socks on the floor, you leave the toilet seat up.
Need any more?

You may come to regret using red oak. It doesn't stand up well to weather, it's very porous, sucks up water, discolors when it gets wet... I think you're started a new hobby - keeping that threshold looking good.
You started a new thread, instead of adding on to the original thread you started - which is preferred, but I believe I mentioned using Ipe in that thread. Ipe would probably have cost you less than that clear oak, and Ipe has none of red oak's issues.
RicodJour wrote:

I started a new thread since the context has shifted.
The red oak was porous, but not after several coats of exterior poly. The exterior poly also takes care of the sucking up water question.
Would you not put poly on the threshold?
--
Uno