Three contractors no showed

Page 1 of 2
Two carpenters and a landscapper no showed over the last two days. This is in spite of my agreeing to pay their bids. The first carpenter did not surprise me as he had no showed last weekend. Expecting he'd make another excuse, I had a back up plan, but the second carpenter also no showed. The landscapper said he try to be here, but never called.
The economy must be recovering!
Dick

The part that's most interesting is "This is in spite of my agreeing to pay their bids. " I don't know what exactly that means, but I'm assuming it means he agreed to pay them for quotes? Did he just offer to pay them? Around here, NJ quotes are usually free and it would be mighty unusual to call a landscaper and two carpenters and all 3 to say they would charge for a quote.
But the no show part doesn't suprise me. I've engaged with many contractors in the last couple years and had similar experiences. You'd think in the current economy they would be showing up, following up, willing to negotiate, etc. Oddly, I haven't seen that. They almost always show up to take a look, but then I've had to chase them to get an actual quote or follow questions they were to get back to me on, etc. You'd think they would be calling me to try to get the work, find out if I made a decision, etc. But it almost never happens that way.

I took it as he was willing to pay the quoted price and did not try to knock down the price. Whenever I bid a job, it was a fair price and if you don't like it, thank you and goodbye. Once I negotiated down and I was unhappy the entire time knowing I was making less than anticipated. Lesson learned.
I can see a contractor agreeing to a lower price and later not being happy, thus the no show.

Seems like many of the really good tradesmen are still working. I know of one that is booked for three months and only taking jobs from old customers. Reasonable prices, very good work. Does not need to quibble about price. He shows up too and rarely takkes a day away to finish other jobs.

Yes, re-reading it I agree with your interpretation. So, it looks like they no showed to start and/or continue the job. Which unfortunately a lot of contractors are known for. Some of it is understandable, because they have to try to keep the pipeline full and if the job they are on runs into problems, takes longer, etc, they have to push out. What there is no excuse for though is when they do it and don't let you know ahead of time that they aren't coming. Of if they do it repeatedly or put you off for weeks....
On Sun, 1 May 2011 05:14:08 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

possible, that they're not going to show. They didn't figure out that another job was running over the day after. It's a good reason to fire a contractor.
On May 1, 11:18am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Was the OP actually a customer, or did he just agree to the proposed price without putting down a deposit...
With things the way they are, customers who pay get the work and customers who nit-pick and waiver are allowed to stew a bit until they realize that they (the customer) are the problem and not the contractor... ~~ Evan

He was expecting them to show, so he was a customer. Whether there was a deposit, or not, isn't germane.

That's certainly true during boom times. Evidently contractors aren't hungry enough.
On 5/1/2011 11:10 AM, Evan wrote:

if he was a savvy customer, and working with a reputable contractor, there would be NO deposit. I pay nothing until material is on the site and/or work at least partially done.
--
Steve Barker

One size does not fit all. That is not true for all crafts.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

It's a regional/customary thing. The size of the project has a lot to do with it, too.
On 5/1/2011 2:30 PM, Steve B wrote:

it's true for ANY craft working for ME.
--
Steve Barker
wrote

I used to do custom welding work. One off mixed exotic metal gates. Plasma cutting. Curved designs. Multiple mixed medias. If the customer had any reason to cancel the job, I could not sell the piece because it would not fit anywhere else. I am currently negotiating the restoration of a piece of Margaret Tafoya pottery piece with a gallery restoration service. That fee would have to be paid in advance, and the estimates so far is from $1800 to $3000. You are apparently not as aware of how things work in the real world as you purport to be, or willing to hear of anything outside your small fishbowl.
Steve

Steve, not you, the other one - hehe - decided no one is to be trusted, but they're supposed to trust him. That's fine. His house, his money, his call. A job doesn't get put on my schedule unless someone puts money in my hands. It's like earnest money in real estate - a sign of good faith. If you don't trust me there's no point in me doing the job - it's a losing battle from the get go.

My biggest surprise was when I went out for quotes on a new furnace/AC. One company that's been around for decades didn't want anything down, nothing at eqpt delivery. They just wanted to be paid when the job was done. That seemed crazy on their part to me. Which just goes to show, it varies.

re: "That seemed crazy on their part to me."
After being around for decades, maybe that have an in with the utility company.
You don't pay, it doesn't heat/cool. ;-)
BTW - Were they the best option?
On Mon, 2 May 2011 05:10:31 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

They're established and well funded (can afford the float). Don't think they won't put a lien on the house if the bill isn't paid.

The guys I use have the unit delivered and swap it out the same day. Rarely if ever does it take two days for a direct replacement. How long did your install take?

Right... Some jobs require 1/3rd deposit upon signing the paperwork to engage the services of the contractor...
Then another 1/3rd about midpoint of the work...
Then the balance is due upon completion and receiving the sign off from the inspector...
For smaller projects you wouldn't necessarily do that, but until you put ink to paper and sign the quote agreeing to the contractor's terms -- you aren't legally a customer...
Verbal agreements are just that... Usually not binding and open to various interpretations by either party...
~~ Evan
On Mon, 2 May 2011 18:19:05 -0700 (PDT), Evan

contractor refuses, it only confirms that he/she is a marginal contractor and may not be able to finish the job even when paid early. Many of these small outfits use funds paid up front to finance the completion of existing projects, and then go bust with your money and no work completed.
wrote

What is the weather like where you are? It's 75 and sunny here. WHAT, IT'S NOT LIKE THAT WHERE YOU LIVE?
PREPOSTEROUS!
Making blanket statements is silly.
In Nevada, merely offering to do work for a price rather than an hourly rate constitutes contracting without a license if that person is not licensed, and it is a felony. No money has to change hands, no documents need be signed, and no work has to be performed. So, in Nevada, a mere verbal offer is considered a contract by the State of Nevada, whereas other states require offer an acceptance, a deposit to make it a deal, the starting of work, etc.
So, everyone, please take these Internet blanket statements as worth the paper they are written on. Find out what it actually is in your jurisdiction.
As per paying in front, that is a practice that is questionable. However, if you have a good referral from someone who this person has done work, or has seen their work, and like it, one may want to pay something up front to get a good craftsman rather than playing Gypsy Roulette. I have been on both sides of this, both as a contractor and a consumer. I weigh all the aspects, then decide. I have no problem with progress payments, which is a very good way to go. I cannot see any project where paying in full is acceptable, though.
Then there are two scenarios. One is where the homeowner is clueless, and takes whoever answers the ad at face value. They are inexperienced at what they want done, and are for the most part ignorant of the process. Second, is a homeowner who knows what has to be done, has a reasonable idea of the time frame and other expectations, and who is possibly dealing with someone they know or has been referred to by a friend, and there is some record of work history.