Thread Lock

I have occasionally seen bolts with a dot of thread lock on them. Any idea what kind of thread lock this is? I need it on a flashlight end cap and cannot have the normal liquid type as it would destroy the electrical connection. Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I think those compounds are uv- or otherwise "set", not just a "dab-on" application.

Not sure of a specific recommendation, but Permatex and others have a bundle of options. Whether there's one really adapted that's readily available I don't know, though.

I'd probably look at something more mechanical if it were mine, however--peening a thread a little, figuring out how to add a o-ring or somesuch as a friction washer, etc., ... or, start over w/ a different flashlight. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, the usual suspects are LocTite -- any hardware store. Devcon makes one as well. Threads need to be clean, etc., for it to work well.

Back when I was in the electronics game, we used to use a dab of red nail polish. Cheap stuff in the local drug store.

Urethane varnish might do as well. I do a fair amount of model ship building, and I find a drop of varnish (ready at hand!) works nicely for anchoring things.

The problem is when you need to loosen things up again. For example the "red" LocTite needs some heat.

Peening the threads a little, as the other poster suggests would work, but that sort of goes against my grain.

Reply to
professorpaul

MD:

Under less than extreme circumstances, Teflon pipe tape will do. That is what I have used in exactly the same application.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

A scrap of foil will tighten up that flashlight so it doesn't unscrew.

Reply to
beecrofter

But Teflon does not conduct electricity so the flashlight will not work.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

My bad. The answer is simple, you only wrap the top threads; that keeps the cap on while permitting contact.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I checked one of my flashlights fully wrapped as originally advertised and as the threads on the plug cut through the tape, there is contact.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey