Those Noisy Fan Motors

I don't know where you're buying your power supplies, but a decent Antec one is at least $70, and you can easily spend more.

In my experience the good ones do not "wear out quickly". I have a computer that I bought in '97 that is still running happily with the original power supply.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

smaller number of turns of heavier wire is a bit less

Agreed, but what does that info add to this thread Dave?

Isn't it rather unlikely that the OP will be running that heater on anything other than 60 (or maybe 50 ) Hz power?

If "Gerry Atrick" is also the OP, then by describing the motor as a "phonograph motor" style, he's probably talking about a shaded pole induction motor, which was the most common motor type used in record players once they gave up on the crank wound spring motors.

There were a few high end record "turntables" which contained hysteriesis synchronous motors, which would have been the type you brought up, but it's highly unlikely anyone would waste the money on that type of motor to drive a fan, 'eh?

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You can get a decent power supply for far less. Even antec's can be had for

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Look at the next one up from that...the SP-450 is $65.77.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

AZ Nomad

I concur, never attempt to lubricate one of those small computer fans, ESPECIALLY ONE INSIDE YOUR POWER SUPPLY! This could be an indicator that the fan in the power supply is about to give it up. If that is the case replace the power supply before the fan does die and the power supply tanks and takes other more important and heat sensitive components with it. But....... if the machine has always done this since new, and it is a fairly new machine, it is quite possible that you have a thermostatically controlled cooling fan in there and on boot up it does a self-test and fires up at full speed. YMMV.

Reply to
jackson

but the op stated the fan was IN his power supply. If that is the case, and if the fan is indeed failing and not a temp controlled unit, I'd recommend changing out the whole power supply rather then opening it up.

Reply to
jackson

Unless you've previously replaced the power supply, chances are that putting in a $5 fan will double its value. (like putting gas in a yugo)

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I imagine any lubricate that may cause further damage to the motherboard will void a warranty.

I replace the dang power supply. Noise is telling me the computer needs attention - same with any other fan in the box.

-- Oren

Oren

Yes, same person. I was using a different computer and different handle. Yes, its a shaded pole. I could not think of that phrase when I posted. But MUCH heavier duty than a turntable with that heavy winding.

Agreed, just a plain old shaded pole, coil of wire on a laminated core with bearings on each end.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Having worked as an electrician for years, I am not afraid to open the power supply and can safely do it. This "baby case" is so packed that I would likely not find a power supply to fit the darn thing. I hope to get a tower soon and transfer everything to it. At that time I will likely have a new power supply so for now some oil will hopefully keep it running. But, it IS the power supply fanm NOT the CPU cooler. Thats why I was confused when someone said LED lights on the fan. But I found out they put them on some CPU fans, which seems real stupid to me because once the case is shut, who cares..... Just a waste of electricity, even if it is very minimal.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

I have never had a power supply fail, just noisy fans.

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

No, it's not bullshit. But it does require the proper lubricant. Use a grease such as lubricate or wheel bearing grease with the oil and it will last for years. Oil alone lasts a couple of months.

Reply to
DK

It is bullshit. If you put axle grease on it then it will never turn again. By the time a fan is howling, it has so much slop in the bearings that it is beyond repair. You can't fix such a fan with any lubricant. Christ. Spend the f****ng two bucks and replace it! If your time is worth more than ten cents an hour then it is a bargain.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I guess I consider my computer a hobby, perhaps an obsession, but the insides of mine are clearly visible through the clear side panel on the left side. I can barely hear mine, but I have a premium power supply with a variable speed ball bearing 120mm fan, 4- 80 mm ball- bearing case fans, & a 120mm ball-bearing side door fan, + 1 80mm ball- bearing cpu cooler fan. It runs consistently at 33-40 c cpu temperature with a relatively hot chip (AMD FX55) even during hard gaming

Reply to
Eric in North TX
[snip]

I think you're expected to use a case with a window, when you install fans with LEDs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"but they drive with pride......"

Reply to
jackson

Enough said. If you are unaware of thermostatically controlled fans in computer power supplies, or LED equipped fans, memory, or other LED equipped PC components you have no business replacing the .29 fan inside a power supply unless you are wanting to risk your other more valuable components to save $25-$50 on a power supply. Not to mention the extra labor time to replace the fan rather then the whole unit as another post pointed out. As for not being able to find a power supply to fit what you describe as a "baby case" which is most likely a micro-ATX case, they are fairly common. Try newegg.com for starters.

Nothing personal and this was not intended as a flame. I also have no business messing around with 220 circuits, inside a meter box, or wiring a

4-way circuit.

Reply to
jackson

Sure you can and it is easy and fast. Takes 5 minutes at most and you don't have to search for a replacement part. I've got 5 computers that have been running over a year with my 'lube job' repairs on the fans and you can't hear a one of them. Best of all lubricants is the lubriplate wheel bearing grease. 2nd best is CV joint grease which looks exactly like the lubriplate.

Reply to
DK