Those Noisy Fan Motors

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:59:25 -0600, Gerry Atrick
[snip]

I think you're expected to use a case with a window, when you install fans with LEDs.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Fan designers have two principal ways of increasing output. Increase horsepower or increase r.p.m. Increasing speed is a lot cheaper than horsepower, ergo, NOISE.
Ivan Vegvary
That's very simplistic. What about changing the fan pitch? The duct shape? Load-dependent speed?
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Check the internet, there is a whole specialized market producing products with quiet fans, quiet power supplies, chip coolers and other products to silently remove the heat. If your fan is too noisy, upgrades are available. Many upper grade mother boards will control the fan speed according to the temperature of the CPU chip.

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:37:09 -0500, "EXT"

Yeah, but thats the CPU fan not the power supply fan.

True, but there are ultra quiet power supplies available also, with fan speeds controlled by the temperature of the power supply components. Depending on the brand of computer the OP has, the quality of power supply, and other fans, may be the cheapest available with a short working life. A few extra bucks buys better components, but they may not be available from many manufacturers.

The aftermarket exists for both.

Enough said. If you are unaware of thermostatically controlled fans in computer power supplies, or LED equipped fans, memory, or other LED equipped PC components you have no business replacing the .29 fan inside a power supply unless you are wanting to risk your other more valuable components to save $25-$50 on a power supply. Not to mention the extra labor time to replace the fan rather then the whole unit as another post pointed out. As for not being able to find a power supply to fit what you describe as a "baby case" which is most likely a micro-ATX case, they are fairly common. Try newegg.com for starters.
Nothing personal and this was not intended as a flame. I also have no business messing around with 220 circuits, inside a meter box, or wiring a 4-way circuit.

EXT wrote:

You can also buy adhesive backed acoustic padding to line a computer "tower" case with and a labrinth type "muffler" to screw over the fan opening.
IME (A sample of one.) spending about $35 on buying both of those items didn't do shite to reduce the fan noise enough to satisfy SWMBO.
Buying her a new computer did.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:37:33 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@not-published.com wrote:

Dont' know about these two but some bearings are oil-impregnated. When they get warm, oil seeps out of the metal. Obviously, that takes a little time. When the motor stops and they cool off, the oil is sucked back in. Clever, huh?
Regarding the computer fan, some newer PCs can regulate the fan speed in relation to heat. On startup, they go to full speed as a test. You'll notice this more with laptop computers than desktop computers.
On the other hand, as they wear out, they'll make more noise when cold. There is no way to oil a computer fan motor - it's all molded into one non serviceable plastic chunk. You can order a replacement fan but it's probably more expensive than a new power supply - which is not very expensive, whcih is why they wear out quickly.
-rev
On Jan 29, 12:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@not-published.com wrote:

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

I don't know where you're buying your power supplies, but a decent Antec one is at least $70, and you can easily spend more.
In my experience the good ones do not "wear out quickly". I have a computer that I bought in '97 that is still running happily with the original power supply.
Chris

You can get a decent power supply for far less. Even antec's can be had for <$30, for example http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code 1201&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1
That $20 supply is still a huge improvement over the typical $5 power supply most people are running.
AZ Nomad wrote:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code 1201&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1
Look at the next one up from that...the SP-450 is $65.77.
Chris

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:39:44 -0600, Chris Friesen

I have never had a power supply fail, just noisy fans.
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:37:33 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@not-published.com

Your computer has the finest power supply that seven dollars will buy you. That leaves about forty cents for the fan. I recomend you splurge and get a $30 replacement power supply and the howling will end.
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:37:33 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@not-published.com wrote:

Buy a new one. Oil is just a temporary fix. Try www.mouser.com
On Jan 28, 10:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@not-published.com wrote:

Here's everything I know (almost) about heater and computer fans and, perhaps, all you need to know:
1. When you buy a computer or a computer power supply try to make sure that it has a safety label on it (e.g., UL, CSA, TUV). The same thing goes for electric heaters with a fan.
2. If your power supply fan starts making a lot of noise (I've never had that happen, BTW), replace the power supply or the power supply fan (if it's no longer under warranty).
3. If you use an electric heater a lot, and it's one of those cheap ones, replace it every year and also replace the socket it plugs into. If you have a more expensive heater, like a 220-V heater for instance, that you use a lot, I don't know what to tell you. I would contact the manufacturer for advice. I would guess a high-quality fan ought to be good for at 30,000 or 40,000 hours of operation. I would check the power plug once in awhile, by the way, to make sure it's not getting hot.
4. If you want an extra quiet computer and the standard power supply fan is to noisy, buy a more expensive power supply that has a built-in temperature sensor and a variable speed fan. Also, put larger fans inside the case of your computer. Make sure they are blowing air in the correct direction.