"This Is An Important Message Regarding Your Credit Card/Auto Warranty/..."

Page 1 of 3
Hi,
For the past few months I have been bugged by automated telemarketers with spiels starting with "This is an important message regarding your credit card" and a similar one about my expiring auto warranty. We are on the "do not call registry" so these shouldn't happen. I have responded a couple times to give them hell but didn't get a human to rant to. Is there some recourse to these jerks?
Thanks, Gary

Change your phone number is the best way to get rid of all phone pests. Caller ID is your friend.
Did you know that the do not call registry automatically expires after (I believe) 3 years? You'll have to reregister for do not call. Even then, some pests, like the PBA, are perpetual and claim exemption.
I especially dislike the text messages on my cell phone for which /I/ have to pay.
--
Best regards
Han

Do Not Call lists no longer expire. https://www.donotcall.gov /
"Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. Read more about it at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/04/dncfyi.shtm ."

That's good to know, Charlie, thanks! Now how do I get callers like dave's carpet cleaning to honor the do not call list?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Not Charlie but if you have a business relationship with "Dave's carpet cleaning" they have a right to call. However according to the do not call regulation you have the right to request that they only call you for non-marketing reasons. If they don't respect that you go here:
https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

Thanks George! I have no relationship with "Dave's carpet cleaning" whatsoever They are nororious for violating the do not call list, and I have complained via the obscure and involved complaint procedure. Eventually the calls stopped, for whatever reason.
--
Best regards
Han

Google the Telecommunications Consumer Protection Act of 1991. The act requires telemarketers to maintain their own do not call lists, to place a consumer's phone number on such lists upon request, provide proof of having done so -- and allows consumers to sue violators in civil court for the amount of actual damages or $500 whichever is *greater*. I settled out of court with GTE for $100 cash about ten years ago... :-)
Or you could move to Indiana. Our state do-not-call law is much more stringent than the Federal law, and the Secretary of State's office is a real bulldog about enforcing it. We used to get two or three telemarketing calls every evening; since about a month after the state law went into effect, it's more like two or three a *year*.
"Charlie" wrote

Thanks for including the link Charlie! I'd been meaning to do that for our 3 cells, 2 of which get the spam voicemail over the car warrantee, sometimes several times a day. I gather it won't help with that one, but may help with some of the others.
Charlie wrote:

DNC list is irrelevant. They Don't Care, and nobody enforces it. AG in MI did a press release a couple days ago labeling these people as suspected identity thieves. Maybe that will get them to quit calling around here. I usually find them on my machine, but have managed to actually answer a few, and punch the button for a human, and give them hell. They refuse to give a company name and address, of course. They usually just hang up on me.
-- aem sends...
alt.home.repair:

Me, too. I think they are under strict time deadlines - if you ask too many questions or start taking up too much of their time they hang up on you and go on to the next call.
On 03/08/09 11:21 am Han wrote:

If by "PBA" you mean the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, they would be exempt as an allegedly charitable organization.
But did you take note of the exact wording? Did they say they were the PBA, or that they were calling "on behalf of" the PBA?
If the latter, then I should not be surprised if it's the same racket that I discovered in connection with the Michigan Association of Police: the latter contracted with some fund-raising organization, which promises to pay the MAP not a percentage of what they raise "on behalf of" the MAP but a fixed amount. The fund-raising organization gets to keep whatever it can squeeze out of the public above that amount.
Even if the PBA or the MAP were getting a reasonably high percentage of the money raised, do you see any reason to subsidize your law enforcement personnel's union dues? That is what the deal is all about, and that is how it was announced to MAP members on a Web site I found several years back.
At the time I looked into this, I discovered that said fund-raising organization was under investigation by one or two states' attorneys general.
Perce
on 3/9/2009 5:38 PM (ET) Percival P. Cassidy wrote the following:

If you feel the need to donate to the local PBA, send the check directly to the local PBA. Make it out to the (PD name)PBA, in care of the treasurer. That way, they get 100% of the donation.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I just hang up on them. Not worth the trouble to track them down.

Unless you are bored at work. I had one guy on the phone for 20 minutes to sell me a car warranty. Told him I had a '91 Regal with 160,000 miles that I just paid $4900 for. I could hear him stifle a laugh, but he continued anyway. They wanted $1400 for the warranty and I told him I though that was a good deal.

I got a call from ABC Warehouse a few days ago about extending the warranty on my LCD TV that I bought from them a year ago. They wanted $119 a month for 6 months to extend the warranty on a TV I paid $1100 for. I told her that was ridiculous and hung up.
One time I let a telemarketer go on and on and finally I told her that I would need three pieces of valid ID from her before we could continue. I told her we could start with her name and address and drivers license number. After a long pause she goes "What?". By then I was laughing too hard and just hung up.
On 03/08/09 12:27 pm Shy Picker wrote:

You already had a business relationship with ABC Warehouse (with whom I have been advised not to do business anyway), so the Do Not Call list does not apply to them.
Political parties and "charitable organizations" are also exempt.
Perce

I realize that. I was just addressing the warranty thing.
David
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The business relationship provision notes that you can ask them to put you on their internal do not call list so that they can only call you for non sales/marketing calls.

Excellent!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus