They ain't dead yet!

Page 1 of 3
"The shutdown-averting budget bill will block federal light bulb efficiency standards, giving a win to House Republicans fighting the so-called ban on incandescent light bulbs. GOP and Democratic sources tell POLITICO the final omnibus bill includes a rider defunding the Energy Department's standards for traditional incandescent light bulbs to be 30 percent more energy efficient."
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70534.html#ixzz1gh6osdCL

all congress bills should stand alone, not tied to anything else.....
this is one of the problems with congress, reps sell their votes to the highest bidder and play way too much politics.
kinda like firemen playing cards at the station while a neighborhood burns
On 12/16/2011 6:01 AM, HeyBub wrote:

The whole ban is a bunch of bullshit. People will be using specialty type bulbs (candelabra and other) in place of the standard ones. The real kicker is that most all of the specialty types are less efficient than the ones being banned! Check out the watts/lumen.
On 12/16/2011 6:01 AM, HeyBub wrote:

<question type="rhetorical">
There are people still using incandescent light bulbs?
</question>

Yep!
One effect of the "ban" had caused a lot of CFLs and LED lamps to become available. I dare say that most folks who have tried out the alternatives to incadescents have come to prefer them.
The main problems associated with the alternatives:
1) Many can't be run off a light dimmer or even some electronic switches.
2) CFLs don't reach full brightness for a few minutes.
3) It's hard to find a "bulb" that really gives the equivalent of a 40 watt incadescent that will fit inside a fan light.
But the future is NOW. LEDs are getting more reliable and are starting to become available in larger sizes.
Speaking for myself, I think I don't have ANY incadescent bulbs INSIDE the house with the exception of some older Christmas lights. Outside, the "flood lights" are still old style.

Just curious...why are the flood lights still "old style", which I assume means incandescents?
I switched to CFL floods a while back and am quite satisfied. They do take a little while to warm up, but that hasn't been an issue so far. The "early light" is enough if I'm just going to be out there for a little while. For times when I'm working outside for a longer period, they get bright soon enough.
As far as dimmable, my front floods are CFL floods controlled by X10 switches, so I can dim them when I don't need full brightness.

Nice that it's worked for you. However, those shortcomings are real and significant. And to the list, I'd add another one which is that the light quality from CFL and LEDs is just not suitable for all applications. And another one which is that the CFLs frequently fail in a year or two, despite the packaging claims that they last 9 years. You think I'm gonna shell out $40 for an LED one? Yes I use CFLs where I find they are appropriate. I hope the repeal bill goes through. Just one more example of a big govt trying to force crap down our throats. Why can't we just be free to choose?
Aparently, the enemy is within the gates. And within the elected offices. Freedom is no longer.
Just one more example of a big govt trying to force crap down our throats. Why can't we just be free to choose?

Longer than what? (-:
-- Bobby G.

Yep, just received an order for another 100, 100W frosted ones. I only have two in the house (in the garage), so that should last a while. I have 300 or so 60W clear bulbs, but the law doesn't affect them for a while yet. Still more time to order.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 16:22:59 -0500, "Nymshifting Top-poster"

The real fool top posts.
Yah don't say?
wrote:>

The real fool top posts.
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:08:52 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
Can't you read? I *did* say. ;-)
Man, that really is profound. So, so true.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Yah, us top-posters tend to be a cut above the rest. ;-)
in message

You may run afoul of the anti hoarding laws. Did you register those bulbs with the EPA? Get the necessary permits and such?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Of course not. When they outlaw light bulbs, only outlaws will see.
That's a bright thing to say, pardner. You're pretty fast with them twisted cliches. Matter of fact, I'm wondering if them cliches are yours? I'm the Net Nanny in these here parts. You done got a bill of sale for them? I might have to challenge you to a cliche Quickdraw at the OK corral, at high noon. Folks say I'm pretty quick with a cliche.
wrote:>You may run afoul of the anti hoarding laws. Did you register those bulbs

Of course not. When they outlaw light bulbs, only outlaws will see.
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:28:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Certainly I have a bill of sale. I bought them over the Internet (tax free). You still might have time to order from 1000bulbs.com, before the nanny state starts throwing people into Gitmo for selling illicit lightbulbs. ;-) "Pssst! Wanna see?"