Thermostat that does not need heat/cool switching

Is there a thermostat for a central AC/Furnace that does not need to be switched between the HEAT and COOL setting? Say, you set a desired temperature at X, and it heats f the temperature is below X-1 degree, and cools if it is above X+1 degree?
thanks
Yes, many have an AUTO setting. They are available in both mechanical and digital.
Ask you local heating and cooling company make a recommendation.
- Robert

Thanks.
Are they too difficult to install by myself? Are wires color coded?
I would rather buy it and install on my own...

So, what you are saying is, pretty much, that I would not even be ableto buy a high class thermostat as a consumer.
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

You can certainly buy the 'high class' products on the net, but you will pay close to retail price. Also, wiring of any but the simplest 1-stage heat, 1-stage cool systems can be problematic. The original installer may not have followed the correct color coding, some thermostats require a common wire which your installation may or may not have, and all it takes is one misstep to blow a fuse and render your system inoperable, or worse. Is it worth the risk for $75 or so? If you think it is, then press on, and good luck.
http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com /
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

Sure. Note: the demo doesn't show the autochangeover mode, but it is there; check the spec sheets.
http://www.hotfreshcool.com/vp_demo.html
I have one, but don't use it on auto. It is useful only if you never open your windows and don't care what your utility bills are.

I'd fit into that second category. :-) Just get a high efficient system, set it on auto and enjoy the comfort, humidity, and clean air in your home!
- Robert

Our house is ~7400sf--and the climate is generally fairly mild.....no sense bringing in heat in the morning only to reject it back out again in the afternoon.....
Summer we generally leave set to cool, winter set to heat.
--

SVL

That's OK as a general rule, but what about when it's still cold in the morning but gets up to 80+ during the day? -- as we have had in the Midwest sometimes.
MB
On 06/04/04 04:04 pm PrecisionMachinisT put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Yep, It has to be a fairly wide swing to run both in the same day. I keep the heat set on 68 and the cool on 72 - but then I like it cool. :-)
- Robert

The house is 2 story, with 2/3 of the downstairs below earth and is located in the Pacific Northwest, where the ground temp stays around 55~58 F year round......
So it doesnt generally get very cold here summer mornings anyway.
--

SVL