Thermostat

Page 2 of 2

I guess, because if he could change the former, it only has to be done once, unless the govt changes it again. With the latter, he has to do it twice a year.

Do you need to do anything to enable that capability? My Date and Time Properties box has no Internet Time tab, just Date&Time and Time Zone. Running WinXP Pro SP2.
    Dave
0000 (UTC), Dave Martindale wrote:

Are you part of a domain? If so, there's a domain server that's used, and the time tab is deleted. This allows all computers in your domain to have the same, incorrect, time. ;-)
--
Seth Goodman

There are plenty of shareware and freeware clocks that can be dl'd that will set the time for most OSes, but letting them change the time a whole hour will, for those few who care about it, distort the cumulative time discrepancy, that many of these clock programs keep track of.
I use Atomic Clock, or maybe it is Atomic Clock Sync, available at www.worldtimeserver.com . Hey, I was off 7 seconds. Like most, this program can be set to run every day, but I don't do that.
-0500, Jeff wrote:

DST changeover is handled by the OS. What OS are you running?
If it's a Windows System (which I assume by your phrasing), Windows XP or later will have an automatic update available from MS. Windows 2000 *may* have an automatic update - I've just read that the next round of MS updates may include an automatic update for W2K. If it's Windows 9x/ME/NT, you can get a manual tool, named "tzedit.exe", from MS to modify your registry settings for the new DST dates.
--
Seth Goodman

You may already have tzedit.exe in your computer, but if not, find a copy and download it, and run it. No installation is necessary.
It enables you to pick the weekend that DST goes into and out of effect, and uses the sort of definitions that the law in the US has always used. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Saturday night in some month, you choose.

You can't. If it has a feature to change the time automatically, disable it (instruction booklet tells you how), then take 10 seconds of your life two days a year and manually adjust the time.

Steven wrote:

Not really OT, but didja know that the "official" term used by governments to describe that time changing system is daylight saving time (with no "s" at the end of saving)?
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/dst.htm
But, I and most other people stick the "s" on, sort of like we tend to say ATM "machine" and PIN "number".
The gummints ought to just change the description to suit the way people feel comfortable saying it, huh? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)