The Price of KCl for Water Softeners

Why has the price (Subject) risen so much over the last 4-5 years? At one time I heard there was a shortage in Alaska. What's the scoop?

Reply to
W. eWatson

justalurker .

I was considering changing but it was $27 for 40lbs at HD. Looks like I'm on the salt for awhile. But even at that price I'd only pay $200 - $300 (?) a year anyway.

Reply to
Master Betty

Reply to
justalurker .

K (potash) is a key component of fertilizer. My understanding was that agricultural demand caused China to withhold exports for internal use, which in turn drove prices up around the world.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Reply to
justalurker .

Hmmm, Saskatchewan has HUGE Potash mine. Big exporter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
justalurker .

Where might that be?

Reply to
W. eWatson

Well, not all, but certainly the most. Russia/Belarus is apparently a close second.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Where KCI is $27/40lbs. :-) Austin.

I remember pricing it awhile back and it was somewhere in the low teens.

Actually, $300 unless I run a hose back for my pool. I think I'm just going to run the hose to the backyard and forget it and leave the salt. That's too much.

Reply to
Master Betty