The History of the Broom

"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom?humble, deceptively simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners?does not often enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household cleanliness begins and ends at the tips of a broom?s fibers, whether they?re natural or synthetic. A good, stiff bundle of stick and straw can make equally easy work of a crumb-strewn kitchen or a porch sagging with the weight of autumn leaves. ... But who invented the broom? And why does it work the way it works?"

[Spoiler: It was the Shakers]

Reply to
HeyBub

Interesting read-- I bought my first house in Broome Center [named for Broome Corn] so I grew it for a few years and made a 'ceremonial ' broom each year. Made me really appreciate a good Shaker Broom--

Now I live a few miles from the original Shaker's [Ann Lee] homestead.

They had a saying that went something like- "Work like you had forever to finish the job, but treat each job as if it is the last one you'll ever do."

I knew I butchered that-- This might be accurate;

"?Do your work as though you had a thousand years to live and as if you were to die tomorrow,

Good folk.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Agreed. Ironic the article should include the broom's eventual evolution to a Hoover Max Extract rug cleaner. I jes bought one, recently, to remove stains from our rug. Not a bad product, specially if you can buy it at a discount, as I did at Sears. Yet, despite my having solved all stains rug, I'm still lacking an implement to properly clean off our deck. Mom's old synthetic broom having died a horrible UV plasic-cracking bristle bending death, looks like I'll be buying a new one. I plan to go back to a plain wood and natural bristle broom. Non-imported, if I can find one. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Not about brooms, but another saying. "Repent on the day before you die."

Reply to
micky

I thought it was Harold Broom.

BTW, I believe it was a Shaker woman who invented the circular saw.

Unfortutely the Shakers befieved in celibacy, and when they stopped attracting new members, they died out.

Reply to
micky