The end of newsgroups?

Page 2 of 2
Oren wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/eu-to-pursue-antitrust-case-despite-windows-7-e.ars
According to the trade rags I get at work, what EU really wants is for MS, at their expense, to bundle ALL the browsers on the CD or factory disk image, and have the user pick one during the initial setup sequence. Sorta like Ma Bell having to include all the pretend phone companies in the instructions in front of the book, before they said the hell with it and stopped making their own phone books.
In short, they want MS to give a free distribution ride to their competitors.
-- aem sends...

And competitors stand-by, licking their chops.
I cannot image the work that went into the OS so MS could pull the tentacles of IE out of the code. :-))
Oren wrote:

Ah, the old maxim: Be careful what you ask for...
Which just illustrates that MOST anti-monopoly crusades are not about the consumer, they are about the would-be competitors to the alleged monopolist.
The poster-boy for monopolies, John D Rockefeller and his Standard Oil company, brought down the price of Kerosene from $3.00/gallon to five cents. In three years. The people who supplied whale oil for lighting were essentially put out of business but the rest of the world got light.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Download live CD image of Linux Mint, burn to CD, put in DVD drive and restart your computer. Make sure BIOS is set to boot from DVD drive. See what a good OS is. It won't change anything on your hard drive or alter your Windows system. When your done take out the CD and reboot and your back to using Windows again.
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
Sea Dog wrote:

Trivial for you and me, not so trivial for a casual user. And for somebody buying a new PC, unless they have connectivity and instructions on how to FTP from a mirror site, just how would they download it without a browser? (Not that anyone should connect a new PC without a firewall, etc, in place, but I digress...) If MS really starts selling naked Win7 in Europe, folks there that don't have access to another PC will have to depend on manufacturer or dealer to either stash it on the hard drive, or provide a CD.
I miss the old days when they provided a semi-current software bundle with new PCs, and didn't assume everyone had a broadband connection, and had the skill set and time to spend 3-4 hours downloading MORE friggin' software and patches before machine was safely usable. I almost suspect MS and the others are still chasing the old dream of people paying a monthly fee to use software, just like they pay a monthly fee to do pretty much anything these days. Of course, if they did get their dream, we all wouldn't need PCs that were more powerful than mainframes from 20 years ago, with more storage. A 300 dollar thin client would be all we needed. -- aem sends....
Sea Dog wrote:

Putting Linux on your computer is roughly equivalent to have a blow-up doll for a girlfriend. And, at less than 1%, both have about the same market penetration (pardon the pun).
Full disclosure: Just because I own a wheelbarrow full of Microsoft stock in no way influences my opinion of other operating systems.
Sea Dog wrote:

That looks like a cool version but I've had very good luck with Puppy Linux which seems to run on anything I tried it on, especially older computers.
http://www.puppylinux.org /
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Puppy is good, also Slax and an old version of Games Knoppix on my old machine. I have two boxes full of distros to choose from but for a novice, Linux Mint would be best IMO.
Walter R. wrote:

There are many news readers. Mozilla has Thunderbird and Seamonkey both Linux and Windows versions. There is Pan (MultiOS) (free)and NewsRover (paid Windows only) and dozens of others you can pay for. I personally think WEB based news is a disorganized bunch of crap. I can't never find anything in WEB formated news. I can't even find my own posts. That is pretty screwed up.

Amen!!
I hate web based forums!!

Bad information.
There is no newsgroup for Windows 7, until it is officially released October 22.
Windows 7 Feature Focus:
http://www.sevenforums.com/news/584-windows-7-feature-focus.html
Pricing:
http://www.sevenforums.com/news/14546-official-windows-7-pricing.html
Walter R. wrote:

Not at all. It means you will have to get a free or paid for third party program that supports newsgroups.

You can use free Agent. My Usenet service (from AT&T) will end in about 2 weeks. May stop reading/posting if I can not get (free) Eternal September server to work with Agent.

You can use astraweb.com and get 25 GB for $10. Working great for me since Verizon dropped most usenet.