Texturing Drywall

I need to spray knockdown texture over some new sheetrock to match as closely as possible the pattern on adjacent walls and ceiling. Can anyone give me a link or breakdown on what's involved. No problem renting a sprayer but I have no idea what else I'll need especially in terms of quantity of mud to buy and how to prep it for spraying.

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

You can buy the knockdown texture in pre-mixed cans. 1 can doesn't go very far and it's expensive (about $10 a can). I can't remember how much it covers - pretty close to a 4 x 8 sheet of drywall, but it's a cinch to use and matches perfectly. Spray it on and drag a taping knife or wide putty knife across it to knock it down. I used it once to match a new piece of drywall on my ceiling and it worked great. You can also buy it in larger quantities that you mix with water and use a sprayer on. Look in the paint aisle at Lowes or Home Depot and your problem will be solved.

Al

Reply to
roderonner

Are you able to make a fairly large pattern with this? That's what I need to do. I don't have too much to cover so the cost might be acceptable. Otherwise I'll go with the sprayer.

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
pakdog

I'm not sure I understand. The knock down texture sprays on in a random pattern. I think it's maybe 6 or 8 inch swaths. It works just like spray paint.

AL

Reply to
roderonner

Homax makes a hand operated sprayer that I've used for knock down texture and popcorn ceiling texture. Works well if the mud/texture is mixed to the right consistency. It needs to be able to flow "just right". The description of pancake batter or oatmeal just doesn't cut it. Some like it thick and some like it runny. If the product doesn't flow to the sprayer, it needs to be thinner. If the product runs down the walls or drips from the ceiling, it needs to be thicker. Experiment. You'll want to try it on a scrap piece anyway.

There is also the hopper style sprayer that attaches to an air compressor. This is cheaper, assuming you already own an air compressor. Mud/texture consistency is the same as above. This unit will let you cover a lot more area for the effort. 20 square feet is about all I prefer with the hand held unit (the one with a gallon sized hopper).

Now that I think about it, mud consistency of store-bought applesauce is close to what you want.

Reply to
Les

I have sprayed hundreds of textured ceilings here in Charlotte N.C. but knock down texture is a new one to me. Those spray cans are great for small patches but otherwise mix it yourself with a 3/4 drill and a beater bar (I use a 30 gallon plastic barrell) and set my air pressure between 30 to 50 psi

Reply to
Marvel