Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm


How does one go about checking a carbon monoxide alarm to see if it will sound when carbon monoxide levels are dangerous?
If I placed my alarm on the ground under my cars exhaust when my car is in idle, would that be an acceptable test?
Thanks,
Don
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not unless you are still driving that 1967 Impala.
Joe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Feb 2007 14:59:37 -0600, Freckles wrote:

No, that would just wreck the sensor.
If you *must* have a real test, buy a test kit like "Detectagas", for about $20.
--
Seth Goodman

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The instructions on mine mentioned using a candle or a cigarette. The level won't trigger the alarm but it will display on the readout. There is actually a warning to properly extinguish the cigrarette after the test or it might burn you. Duh.
-rev

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 Feb 2007 13:40:22 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light"

It's probably intended for people who don't smoke.
So they don't know how cigarettes work.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 11 Feb 2007 13:40:22 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light"

If I turn on my gas logs without opening the fireplace damper, the CO alarm will sound.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:59:37 -0600, "Freckles"

So you don't damage the equipment, I'm guessing you should follow the directions that came with the detector. I've only noticed that they require a test button to be be pressed.
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Freckles wrote:

They should be good for 5-10 years. I replace mine at five years. Well actually I do a monkey move up. The oldest one moves to the trash and the newest on goes right outside the bedrooms with the next newest moving downstairs. I buy one every five years. I have three years to go.
One has a digital readout. I could bring it down around the furnace - water heater and I could get a very low reading, but not enough to set it off.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
hold it a few feet away from your lawnmower's exhaust. If you car is working properly, there will not be significant CO output. Small engines drive them wild.
--
Steve Barker


"Freckles" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.