termite bait/repellent?

Hi All,
My sister in Southern California thinks she may have terminates. She can't afford an exterminator and her health can't take the chemicals. She has a wood floor and a crawl space.
Is there anything like a bait, repellent, roach motel she can toss in her crawl space? Any suggestions?
Many thanks, -T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He who asks is a fool for five minutes,

The easy to use and effective chemicals are off the consumer market. She really should call a pro rather than risk serious damage to the house.
A couple of hundred bucks saved today could result in tens of thousands of dollars in damage tomorrow.
On 12/30/2013 1:41 AM, Todd wrote:

If she is elderly or disabled, she may be able to get assistance in dealing with house problems....do they have 211 phone system for assistance?

No

Call an exterminator. A RELIABLE one.
If they are subterranean termites, chemical injection into the ground is needed, chemicals won't/shouldn't affect her.
If they are drywood termites, the infestations are generally localized and can be treated in various ways, including heat. If not localized, the place needs to be tented and gassed. The gas dissipates but she would need to stay elsewhere while it does.
Since she can't afford an exterminator, it is time for her brother to give her a belated Christmas present.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12/30/2013 04:57 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Way too cheap! Actually, I can barely afford my own house with this recession.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 12/30/2013 1:41 AM, Todd wrote:

Exterminators, looking for business, will do inspections for free. If she has termites, treatment is needed and it is not a DIY job. If no termites there are treatment chemicals available to home owners. Ones I've seen, you spray around foundation and it is good for maybe a year. Digging a foot down and saturating soil with another is good for maybe three years.
When my neighbor had termites, I put out these poisonous stakes that would attract termites coming towards my house and kill them. You have to surround the house with chemical treatment to the earth to fully keep them out, assuming subterranean.
Couple of years ago I had some pines removed near the house and the stumps got completely infested. Termites were eating roots within a few feet of the house. Inspection showed no termites in house but for peace of mind, I had exterior treatment done and pay for annual inspection and policy.
Actually, termite inspection is pretty easy to do yourself looking for mud tunnels and poking wood around foundation. I think I was doing a better job than the inspector that checked it.
Bonus of the termite treatment is that we have also seen no ants in the house since it was done.
On 12/30/2013 1:36 PM, Frank wrote:

From what I have read, "spraying around the foundation" would be utterly useless....it would not reach either form of termites. The homeowner would be way ahead just getting educated on how to prevent termites and in being able to know signs of infestations.

Stakes, with bait, are standard for subterranean termites. Saturating perimeter with chemicals used to be standard for new construction (in Florida), but it can be iffy...incomplete application or later disruption can allow termites in.

Termites exist pretty much anywhere there is dead wood or other forms of cellulose....can be brought into home by stacking fire wood improperly.

I felt same about some inspections, but they vary. Some contractors are really good at identifying species, etc. She should START with inspection (usually free) by reputable licensed contractors. There are loads of good websites that give information for prevention and identifying termites, and treatments can be local depending on the species present.
A good contractor might give her a break on treatment, if needed, and possibly know what financial assistance exists. Good luck!

On 12/31/2013 03:52 AM, Norminn wrote:

Thank you Stonmin'
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped