Telephone Service

Page 4 of 5

Pete C. wrote:

Hi, ?????, I got transfered out there in the spring of '70. I live in Calgary AB, and I can count power outages with my one hand since. Longest was ~30 minutes once when grass fire knocked off pole carrying main line for the neighborhood. Others few minutes or just a blink. How come power is so unreliable down there? Utility wires are all underground in my neighborhood.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Many reasons. Lack of infastructure, environmental concerns, unexpected growth, silly political decisions.
I live, fortunately, in Texas which is not connected to the national grid. A zombie infestation in New Jersey or a jellyfish flood in San Diego cannot affect us.
HeyBub wrote:

Connecting to the grid means nothing. All it takes is a utility that thinks beyond harbor freight class designs. Our local utility belongs to the PJM interconnect and also generates more energy than it uses. After a few blackouts ago they designed our interconnect ties so that when all of the other outfits go down like dominoes they disconnect us. There is a great night satellite shot after the last big blackout where NYC, NY, NJ and Ohio were dark and we were still lit up.

Insert my usual wisecrack about people who have landlines but nothing but cordless phones.

Exactly. And all the 'services' that telephone users used to take for granted, such as being listed in a telephone book/directory, service during power failures, free maintenance calls, free wiring in your home, direct 911, 611 and 411 lines to Emergency, Repair, and Directory back in the bad old non-competition days are gone. These days your are on your own in a sort of 'Batteries not included' way. Hook it up and fix it yourself! Fortunately the basic networks and telephone numbering plan areas are still there, like a road sytem; even though the type of vehicles (And maybe the type of fuel that powers them! is changing! . Ain't competition wonderful?.

stan wrote:

They aren't gone anywhere. If you want or need that level of service you can pay your regular area telco.

Last year, during hurricane Ike (when electricity was off)for several days) stores ran out of simple (non-cordless) phones.

Mark Lloyd
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:48:42 -0500, Mark Lloyd

If those people had had a corded phone, they could have called around and seen who still had them in stock. Of course, they woudn't have needed one then.

mm wrote:

I have a landline and nothing but cordless phones on it. I also have several UPSes and a couple generators.

You are excused. Unless you bought the generators solely to power the cordless phones.
Walter R. wrote:

As I said before, keeping your land-line and paying 25 bucks are not necessarily connected. ATT WILL reduce your monthly charge - you have but to ask.
ATT knows that tens of thousands of people are switching to VOIP or cell phones every day. Twelve dollars a month from you is better than no dollars a month from you.
Walter R. wrote:

Walter, Look into BigRedWire (www.bigredwire.com). We've been using them for several years now for both domestic and international long distance service. They save money by doing 100% of their business on the web (your monthly statements are always available on-line), and not having either telephone or snail mail for customer service, but are quite responsive to e-mail. We've found their connection quality and service to be faultless and their rates to be excellent.

Our basic telephone charge is quite reasonable. What runs up the bill are the various taxes and charges put in by the government.
For example, we have the "911" fee. We have a fee to pay for the operators who "translate" voice to TTY for deaf folks. We have local utility tax. We have the "universal service fee." We have a fee to pay for the system that lets VOIP folks have any area code they want (number portability.)

VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol. Magic Jack is a specific implementation. If you have high speed internet your ISP should have already tried to sell you on giving up your land line so I suspect you don't have high speed internet.
John Gilmer wrote:

USF is one of my pet peeves. I border on what used to be rural area but not any more. The local phone company is Frontier and they get boxes of USF money to help them serve the "farmers". And to top it off no competition is allowed. I ported our number to a VoIP carrier quite some time ago. I mentioned it to one of my friends who lives in the "rural" area and was surprised when I tried to order a port. No other carriers are allowed to compete in "rural" areas.
Number portability has nothing to do with what you described. It means that you are allowed to keep your number if you move to a different provider.

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:57:57 -0400, "John Gilmer"

I have verizon DSL. I called aobut something and after that was done, she tried to sell me FIOS. I said it was too expensive. She said we have an introductory rate for 3 months. I said, What good does 3 months do me? After that it's too expensive. I finally made her laugh and admit it was too expensive.
ActionTec modem blowing up after the first week. And the initial billings took about 6 months to get straightened out. Ever since it has been rather good.
We don't much use all the phone service we're entitled to, and the TV still has almost no channels worth watching. However, all the baseball and football you might want (I think).
My new "subscription" will not change in price for 2 years, but I have "only" a 1 year commitment.
YMMV!
--
Best regards
Han
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:47:24 +0000, Han wrote:

I found a similar savings using Ooma. Like many I use my cellphone for nearly everything but still wanted a home phone. With Ooma you pay a one time fee then nothing.
A feature I really enjoy is the multi-ring service. Simply any call to the home also rings on my cellphone. Sure is handy when you are waiting on a delivery call and need to run errands. Plus the cellphone is set to forward calls to the home number if I don't answer in 6 rings. The two together means I can shut one off and still get the incoming calls. Neat.
Jim wrote:

You might investigate Google Phone. Free. You get a number. Thereafter any calls to that number are routed to one or more other phone numbers, which you can change at will. Sort of number portability. It has other features, too.
Walter R. wrote:

I have a magicJack and a VOIP service from http://www.viatalk.com / I don't recommend the magicJack for regular phone service but it's a good supplement to any phone service and for $20.00 a year it's quite useful. My magicJack died but I still keep the number for something to give anyone who may give the number out to a telemarketer or collection agency. The voice-mail messages are Emailed to me and I don't have to worry about being disturbed by pests. A magicJack requires a computer to be on and connected to a high speed service if you wish to make and receive calls, voice-mail is remote/web based. My ViaTalk uses a stand alone adapter plugged into my router and gives me two phone lines with one number. One of the lines can be provisioned as a fax line.
TDD
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:06:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
How long did it last?
-- 6th Florida Inf`ntry, Co G, CSA 1861-1864 Confederate States Army