Teflon Tape

Wrong. That's not what pipe dope is for.

Yes, that would be the problem -- combined with not understanding what pipe dope is for. Pipe dope is *not* a sealant to prevent leaks. It's a *lubricant* that makes it easier to tighten the joints enough that they won't leak. Pipe threads are tapered: the pipe needs to be threaded far enough into the fitting that the tapered threads expand the fitting slightly. *That* is what keeps the joint from leaking.

Same reason.

And now you know.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use Leak Lock which is available at most HVAC and plumbing supply houses.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Never heard of it.

Never needed it, either.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Nonsense.

It's both a sealant _AND_ serves as a lubricant.

--

Reply to
dpb

Dang - reminds me of that comedy line, but I can't remember how it goes....

Something like "It's a breath mint and toilet cleaner!"

Reply to
Robert Neville

BOY howdy! post it when you remember it. I want to read this.

Reply to
RLM

The product has been around for many years and I use it on just about every connection I make regardless of what it is, except oxygen, I don't think it's rated for oxygen and it's not recommended for alcohols.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think it was a SNL sketch from the late 70s or early 80s - wish I could remember.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Dessert topping and floor wax...

Reply to
Rick

Love it!

Reply to
RLM

technically, no. but if its good and tight, it really doesn't matter.

Reply to
Steve Barker

HA! Did he flux the thread before taping it?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Plumber's string -- or even sewing thread -- and pipe dope is THE leak guarowntee. Too bad it's such a messy pita. But indeed there have been more than few times when teflon tape didn't do it -- rarely a failure on copper, tho.

But, you really think WD40 is the equal of teflon tape? If so, then WD40 really DOES have a use!! This, and tapping aluminum....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Wouldn't it be easier to just wrench things tight enough that they don't leak? Works for me...

Reply to
Doug Miller

But, not a great sealant. Pipe dope and thread, yo.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Oh, they make all kinds of pipe dopes now, with teflon, which should never really dry out or crack, if that ever was a problem with old pipe dope and string. Teflon pipe dope is even messier than the original pipe dope!

Still, I use teflon tape, and prayer. But if I had a "serious" job, I'd proly go with teflon dope/string, esp. on anything 1" or over. This way, you also don't have to crank so goddamm hard.

I believe they also make different thicknesses in the teflon tape, fwiw.

Reply to
Existential Angst

"Rick" wrote in news:xMCdndusIrDjntTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yep, an SNL skit from that error. Good one. I think my all time favorite is the Bass-O-Matic though. Even better when wacked-out in the

70's...if ya know what I mean.

Red Green

Well, it's a so-so lubricant and certainly handier than chicken fat. Until after lunch. My lunch sack usually sits in the truck lubricating itself until the whistle blows, so after that...

Reply to
HeyBub

That's it!

Reply to
Robert Neville

So then if this is so, thread + pipe dope might be a good initially, but mebbe bad for the 10-20 year long haul? I've seen a lot of prof'l plumbers use the thread+dope -- plus, they sell balls of "plumber's thread"..

Reply to
Existential Angst