teflon tape

Can I use teflon tape(white) on the steel black pipes(2 1/2") for a steam boiler? The pipe threads in question are the ones that connect directly to the boiler. Or should I be using some kind of paste?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:37:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

You can use teflon on a HOT frying pan..... The only place to NOT use teflon tape is with Natural Gas because the gas will react with it. (maybe propane gas too). They make some special yellow tape suitable for Nat. gas.
The teflon tape container should say what it's for.
ronronron@________.com wrote: ...

The only difference (other than the color) between white and yellow teflon tape is the yellow is thicker. White won't react w/ n-gas or the bottled gases any more than it will, just the extra thickness aids in getting gas-type seal w/ fewer wraps...

For TERRIBLE results use both. Each is designed to be used alone.
You need some real pipe dope. Like Rectorseal. www.rectorseal.com
steve

Steve Barker writes:

So what's the "real" material that's not Teflon?

Black pipe for a steam/water line? My boiler is galvanized for the hookup to the boiler, then goes to all copper for the manifold and bleeder, etc.