Any way to take advantage of a cold air return to run a cable?

No, I don't want to run it in the cold air return; but the return happens to run precisely where I want the cable to run, across 8 joists. The return is hung about an inch below the ceiling. Would it be considered adequate protection to put the cable as close up against the return as I can get staples into the ceiling?

I can't run the cable through the joists because of drain pipes and air ducts, and I would rather not use a running board. I vaguely remember that it is okay to run wire in the corner next to the wall, so I am hoping that running it in the corner next to the air return would be similar. I could just lay it above the air return, which would certainly be protected, but then I couldn't staple it as required.

Reply to
Toller

You don't have to staple it if it's in a void

Reply to
RBM

So I could staple it to the ceiling next to the air return, run it 10' down the the top of the air return, and then staple it to the ceiling on the other side of the air return?! Doesn't get much easier than that. Thanks

Reply to
Toller

Hit that easy button!!!

Reply to
RBM

Did anyone mention to him he needs to use plenum rated cable?

Reply to
Zyp

Why?, he's not running anything in the duct, he's running it over the duct

Reply to
RBM

RBM wrote:

Opps, your right [after reading the whole post]. Sorry.

Reply to
Zyp