Tecumseh Engine - Needs Full Choke to Run

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").
Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY remedy?
Thanks,
Ian

my quad went through that, turns out it was a suction or air/ fuel mixture problem. there should be a spring loaded adjustment screw on the carb somewhere.
--
Be cool,
Longshot

My Bolens with the Tecumseh 7 hp engine has had the same problem the last two seasons. Each time, I've had to tighten the bolts holding the carburetor to the block to correct the problem. Next time it happens, I'm going to try some Loctite.
Ian wrote:

Sounds like an air leak somewhere...look for loose connection of carb, etc.
Ian posted for all of us....

The engine is getting too much air, find the leak by spraying carb cleaner where you suspect it might be. Go from there.
--
Tekkie

pull the float bowl, you have crap in the main jet and or bowl itself. i doubt it's an air leak. Chip
chip wrote:

Over the years I've found that the easiest way to fix carburetor-related problems is to buy a rebuild kit and do it. It is both quick and _dirty_.

Everybody might be right. Too much air OR not enough gas. If the carb is loose, suspect the air problem, a relatively easy fix, although getting a wrench on those bolts can be a knuckle buster. Don't round the corners off the bolts, eh? If the carb is tight, then suspect dirty jet(s), which can only be fixed usually by tearing down the carb and blowing out the orifices with comperessed air. If you don't feel up to that, you could bring the carb in to a small engines tech. And yeah, it will need a rebuild kit to be fixed right, although sometimes a good cleaning will suffice. Drain the fuel out of your carb somehow every year before putting the thing away. That goes double for 2-stroke engines. I start them up, drain the tank somehow, then run them till they quit, choke and start again til they won't start no more. This prevents varnish from evaporating gas from clogging up those jets.
JohnK

Second time tightening the bolts, I found that if I took a few minutes extra, to remove the muffler, it was very easy to get at both bolts. Tom.