Tar coating removal/ concrete roof

I own a southern cement home.
Someone coated the flat roof with a tar coating.
It has long since deteriorated, and leaking has accurred throught the roof.
I need to clean the roof before applying new coating.
How do I remove this tar coating or make it acceptable for new sealant.
Thanks
I have no idea what a southern cement home is.
I have never seen tar applied directly to concrete as a roofing system.
You need much more information for an intelligent answer.
I suspect that you have a flat or low pitch roof. I doubt that it is a concrete roof. It is probably wood framed, plywood sheathed, and roofed with a 3 or 5 layer asphalt roof. It probably has stone or cinder ballast.
If you cannot understand any of this conversation, you need to contact a local roofing company for advice. Talk to more than one company to see if they both see a similar project. There are many solutions, too varied to address here.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Nippins wrote:

It has long since deteriorated, and leaking has accurred throught the

Nippins wrote:

Someone coated the flat roof with a tar coating DIRECTLY to the conrete.
Someones idea of weather proofing.

Nippins wrote:

to get started on info, look at SNOW ROOF information: http://www.snowroof.com /