Taking apart a Mini-Maglite

Page 2 of 3

why should Maglite repair or replace a product of theirs damaged by a battery made by someone else? I'd refer the customer to the battery maker.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Because they are sold with Duracell batteries.

I wouldn't try oil as the cell has expanded in the tube. Ideas?
Cut the head off a 4" screw, chuck in a drill and try to drill some of the battery core out to collapse it? (an idea).
Oren wrote:

I'm thinking just insert a screw into the cell and use a slide hammer.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I have one of these that works fairly well for pulling things out. It's designed for starting wood screws but drill a little hole in something, twist this thing in and pull.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
TDD

Battery companies will replace items damaged by corrosion. Send it to them and see what happens.

I have one that I can't get open either. I called Mag Lite once and they said they would replace it for free if it has a specific brand name of batteries in it.
I never sent it in, but try the company.

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering the IQ and temperment here.
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:13:50 -0800 (PST), in2dadark

Smart people don't use Google Groups to participate here. Many will not even respond to a thread from Google, regardless of IQ of a poster.
That is/may be the reason you don't get the answer(s) you desire.
"Very odd group here" - ain't that some shit!
Oren wrote:

'Very odd group here' - he says that like it is a bad thing! I find this group very educational and useful, and I grew up in the frigging business. The vast (or half-vast) range of different life experiences the regulars on here have had, have given them a range of real-world experience I could never match. I suppose the personality traits and quirks of some of the regulars may be a little scary or offensive to those that have never swung a hammer, but I dealt with people like that on the job sites every day, so it doesn't faze me.
And to bring this back on-thread- I never had a battery leak in a mag-lite so bad that I couldn't bang it out by slamming the closed tail on a board repeatedly. (after removing both bulbs, of course.) I think mag-lite has gone downhill since they went mass-market. Keep meaning to get LED conversions for the ones I have, if I ever find them all. -- aem sends...
The Nite Ize from Walmart is very respectable conversion. Good light. Slightly blue. No focussing ability. Never blows a bulb, batteries last longer.
Teralux is also excellent. I've got the one watt Teralux, and really love it. Reasonably white light, a hint of blue. Bright, and can be focussed.
With my Teralux, I bought me a new Minimag from walmart. The threads are so loose, it kept turning itself on in my pocket. I used an older Minimag, which works perfectly.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Me: So You have a degree in Criminal Justice?
Person: Yes!
Me: Okay forget everything you learned in class. We run a penal institution!

I now have to look for my military flashlight. Switch is brass and all contacts inside are copper. Must be 30 + years old. Never a leak or corrosion.
I had such an angle head light. Back, well, a lot of years ago. I recently found my web gear, and decided to see if the contents were at all usable. Sure enough, the batteries corroded the flash light to destruction. I beat on it for a while, soaked, and finally think I pitched it out. I'll have to go look -- might take up the manufacturer on the leak warranty. I can't remember which brand, and it's probably trashed by now.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
aemeijers wrote:

Hey, the "non-odds" are very boring. *snicker*
TDD
Correct. There is no predicting what will interest, or inflame the writers on this list.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

jee bob. I really thought, after reading the responses to my cabinets post they were going to rip you and tell you to get a life and a new flashlight. Very odd group here. Apparently field stripping a flash light is high on their list of 'need to discuss' issues. My next thread will be titled 'how do I repair (not replace) a leaky flapper valve on my toilet'..There should be high interest in that considering the IQ and temperment here.
You asked a STUPID question , through Google Groups no less , about cabinet prices in your area when there is no way in hell anybody on here could possibly know that...Jesh , post the phone numbers to HD , Lowes and the mom&pop in your area and I'll call them and find out for you....Mommy dress you in the morning too ??? LOL....Assclown...I'm begining to see why others filter out the Google Idiots...

What happened to 'there is no stupid question'. I guess yours is the stupid answer. I was asking what others experiences were. Where exactly in my post (moron) did I ask what the prices were in my area? If someone purchased it in their area then it should be a comparable differance here percentage wise. I think you're just pissed off about something in the real world and need to come on line and act like what you think a 'man' should act like.
Who knew google groups had such a stigma. I wonder what else I use could get me flammed or run off of the interstate for that matter. This guy must be one of those idiots that sees a decal for a sports team he doesn't like on a car and cuts them off in traffic for it. Get some help..?? nnnnK?

What happened to 'there is no stupid question'. I guess yours is the stupid answer. I was asking what others experiences were. Where exactly in my post (moron) did I ask what the prices were in my area? If someone purchased it in their area then it should be a comparable differance here percentage wise. I think you're just pissed off about something in the real world and need to come on line and act like what you think a 'man' should act like.
Who knew google groups had such a stigma. I wonder what else I use could get me flammed or run off of the interstate for that matter. This guy must be one of those idiots that sees a decal for a sports team he doesn't like on a car and cuts them off in traffic for it. Get some help..?? nnnnK?
Nah , don't need help...I know how to kill file just fine....Bye , bye....

I have had little luck with the Mini-Maglites that suffered from leaking batteries. They CAN be disassembled, but I have only had one that I put back into service. I wonder why so many of them have leaky batteries, and in all my other battery devices, they don't leak as much.
Steve