Swimming pool plaster

New twist on old post.
My gunite pool has rough black plaster that's 25+ years old. I swim in it and don't mind the roughness at all.
In the last few years, I've noted increased water loss. Sometimes several inches overnight.
Checked the plumbing, light, skimmer. No leaks that I can find.
Is it likely/possible that the plaster has finally degraded enough that the water is simply leeching through the gunite?
Is black plaster still available?
Thanks for comments..
-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

the
there to make the pool look better and to make a smoother surface for the body to come in contact with. I would be suspicious that underground pipes have perhaps cracked. Maybe tree roots or earthquake or settling. Or maybe a crack in the gunite that you can't see because of the "black" plaster.
John Keiser writes:

Checked how? The only sure diagnostic test is a drain-down that can take months. See my page:
http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm
Absolutely awesome!! Makes me think about doing my own gunite pool from scratch....hmmm maybe not.

take
There is no telling where a leak could be. It could be underground where you cannot see it. Call a pro and have it tested. It will save you $$ on water, and if you do have a leak, will find it before you walk out and have a REALLY big hole in your back yard.
Steve